Opal Moon and Silver Fur (catalyst and Diana)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
"I do not speak in the common vernacular?" she questioned with surprise. Of course, Oralia hadn't yet started her studies on multiple languages - that was meant to be done during her travels - but she'd though she'd already mastered the common language and could speak to anyone with ease.

Apparently she'd only mastered the noble way to speak.

She wrinkled up her nose.

"Then I must learn to speak the way you speak. Ole' humans." she mimicked his accent as best she could. "Don't be twistin' the sticks like that Ooreee." Not quite right, but Oralia was fairly confident she would with some observation and practice.

"What other adjustments must I make, Dyami? I must learn common greetings! No one seems to bow or curtsey and I quite like that. Are there different greetings for wolves than for humans? Did you know the Kogau people sniff each other in greeting? They are not even wolves! It was the strangest meeting I have ever been to!"

• Haha
Reactions: catalyst
A hand promptly covered Dyami's mouth as he tried not to laugh, but a snort escaped. She definitely needed some work. But getting to know her these past several days, he had a feeling she would get it down in no time.

"Sniff people?" Thick brows rose. "Please tell me they sniff hair and not each other's asses." Sniffing first thing? That was too much. Granted, werewolves had better noses than humans, but sniffing as an actual... greeting? Save that for forcing a younger brother to smell rank armpits if he was being an idiot. Save it for smelling loved ones who just returned from a long trip. Save it for more... intimate affairs.

Grey eyes glanced below. He tried not to think about the pleasant scent that rolled from silky black waves.

"Well, I'm sure you meet a rich werewolf 'n' they'll greet you as any noble would. S'not so different from humans. But we're social people with big families, and not everyone is blood-related. We take care of each other. Meeting strangers gets you a handshake or a hug, but most are quick to make friends." He chuckled as a memory came to him. "Someone told me once that we act like we've known you our whole life even though we just met five minutes ago. Guess that's true. I didn't really know what they meant until I left Linvharis for the first time.... Anyway, if you're familiar, then you get bearhugged or tackled or all of the above." He shrugged. While they were at it, might as well give her another lesson.

"It's rare to see that lone wolf type. If you do, they might've chose that life for themselves but more than likely... they've done somethin' that got them kicked out of their pack." He shrugged his shoulders. "Not every pack is the same. Linvharis likes to... give people chances. But we don't take kindly to violence. You threaten one of us, you threaten all of us." Pack mentality and all.

• Haha
Reactions: Diana
"It would be a court of fools indeed to bend and sniff an arse at every greeting," she remarked with some thought. Then the mental image wouldn't go away - of courtiers bending over and having their rears sniffed by equally primped and proper gentleman. Oralia erupted into full melodic laughter and it felt so good to actually find joy in something so ridiculously absurd.

Oralia linked her arm with Dyami's absorbing in all the useful information he was giving her. Linvharis sounded exactly all of the ideals Kosogaria was meant to stand for. Strength of family, and loyalty, and kindness. These were things she would have to work very hard to protect.

"I am a lone wolf now," surmised the girl with another thoughtful frown. "You were alone, but you are not a lone wolf, though. You have very strong ties to your pack, yes? And Honovi wishes for you to find a nice wife and make more baby wolves. ...would Aurane make a nice wife for you? I felt she was lovely and fond of you. When she was not throwing socks."

• Haha
What a good laugh. She should have more of that. It was so good, in fact, that it distracted Dyami from the arm that linked through his.

When Ori claimed he wasn't a lone wolf, he almost snorted and was about to say his mother would argue otherwise, but Ori's words...

"And Honovi wishes..." A familiar sense of dread washed over the werewolf. It happened any time he heard the phrase "Honovi wishes."

"...for you to find a nice wife and make more baby wolves."

Dyami felt the growl rumble low in his chest. Yes, it seemed his mother had quite the chat with Ori.

"...would Aurane make a nice wife for you?"

Aurane? Aurane!?

Dyami stopped in his tracks and looked down at Ori with bewilderment. "Skies above, you are not subtle, are ya?? Listen, whatever funny business my ma cooked up with ya, do us both a favor and get out of it." He removed his arm from Ori's, using the hand to pinch the bridge of his nose. He always gave his mother the benefit of the doubt, and she always stuck it to him.

The werewolf grumbled to himself as he continued walking, needing to release some of energy. Gods, this woman caught him off-guard. But when it hit him that he was about to face Aurane's father, he suddenly stopped and scratched his head. "On second thought, let's go to Kinshra's first."

He withdrew so quickly it was almost offensive! Oralia did frown and huff, but she supposed she understood his position. Having your parent so invested in your future marriage was a bit awkward, and must be even more so when there were no responsibilities or political motivations behind it.

But Honovi also just wanted to see him happy, and Oralia agreed! Making sure everyone in this village got what they needed was the least she could do for their hospitality.

"Is Kinshra also an eligible young wolf lady?" she asked, completely ignoring him telling her to stay out of it. That was a promise she made to Honovi, and she would honor it. "She has not cooked up business with me, mind you, Honovi wishes for your happiness and that is a good thing. It is my duty to make sure all citizens are happy and cared for and you are my citizen, whether I am a wild woodling or not."

Alright, this was a lose-lose situation.

"So, you're telling me that my mother didn't reel you in to some petty deal about finding me a mate?" Dyami looked pointedly at Ori as he crossed arms. "That this sudden 'wife' business came from you alone?"

He rolled his eyes. "Don't pull yer princess card on me now. I'm plenty happy and I don't need your nose joining Ma's in my business. In fact, why don't we find you a handsome lad, yeah?" He smiled. "Surely you must be excited about your freedom in the affairs of romance," he said with dramatic flair.

Oralia didn't think it was necessary to protect Honovi's honor, after all the women seemed rather plain and honest about wanting to see her son meet a nice lady, and Oralia didn't see the trouble in that. Of course, he had to go and spin things about on her!

With a huff she braced her hands on her hips and pufffed herself up to her full height. If he wanted to fight a princess, she would give him the pleasure.

"It is what I should do, isn't it? Once I have raised an army and set Kosogaria free, I would need to settle and have heirs of my own. Why not use my time with wisdom and also look for a proper husband? I will find a great warrior that isn't too old or boring to be a good King."

Oh, she was challenging him now! He met her gaze equally. Why was she trying to be so involved in his love life?? He didn't understand it! Even if he wanted to seem unfazed by her posturing, he couldn't deny the annoyance bubbling within him... and the hint of amusement.

"Oh, Ori - don't you know? All proper men are old or boring," he retorted. "But really, I wish you the best of luck. Find yourself a great, noble man who will whisk you away into the sunset-" crap, was that even the phrase? "- and have yourself twenty babes. Y'know what - I'm sure the Kogau already have a long line for you! You can spend the rest of your days being fancy drunk off of sniffing each other's arses."

• Haha
"They don't sniff behinds, Dyami!" she shouted, taking offense on behalf of all the Kogau. "It is a press of the cheek and a sniff of the hair and perfectly polite, if a little strange!"

She didn't appear to be intimidated in the slightest at him meeting her stare, in fact she squinted her eyes at him as if she were sizing Dyami up for a battle.

"I think you're just a scaredy wolf," she stated. And with that statement she smiled, certain that she now had it all figured out. "You are afraid of ladies. But that is fine, Dyami, I am not afraid to interview men or ladies so I will find myself a nice someone, and for you someone soft and sweet."

Then, deciding that ended this argument, she brushed her hair over her shoulder and turned to march herself down the street. Oralia might not know the village well yet, but what fool couldn't read signs to find a business?

Dyami rolled his eyes. Who cared what the real Kogau greeting was?

"I think you're just a scaredy wolf."

"What?" Eyes crinkled as brows furrowed. Ori smiled like she knew something he didn't. Or didn't want to admit. It irked him more than he thought it would.

"You are afraid of ladies." Oh. Whew. That wasn't quite right, was it? But was he going to tell her?

Absolutely not. Didn't seem like she was willing to listen anyway. Dyami watched Ori stomp away from him like she had a victory under her belt, and it was cocky enough to keep him from chasing after. He turned to walk the opposite direction. She wanted to "interview" people? Fine by him!

Ori would soon realize street signs got sparser the deeper she went into the village, away from the plaza. Werewolves knew their way around by scent alone; the signs were mostly there for travelers' and merchants' convenience. But maybe she'd get lucky and wind up exactly where she needed. Luck hadn't failed her yet!

..... Or was that too harsh? Maybe he ought to give her more credit.

Scaredy wolf.

Nope, she'd be fine.

Oralia found herself wandering the village alone.

At first she was frightened - unsure if she should go running back to Dyami and beg forgiveness for being difficult. Except, she wasn't being difficult when she was trying to help. She'd also survived on her own in the woods for weeks, so surely she would be safe enough in a small village where she simply only had to backtrack her steps to find Dyami's home.

It didn't really matter if she were a woodling or a Queen, Oralia needed to learn to do things on her own. There were no Knights to protect her or servants to help her. Even Dyami himself couldn't be with her forever. Eventually, she would have to leave this village to seek help for Kosogaria. She couldn't ask him to leave his family.

Thus, Oralia wandered... perhaps not so alone after all. For every person she encountered, she would stop to have a chat. She learned a new game called Bones from a pair of children hanging out near a bakery, where she also discovered the baker had her own stories about dealing with wild boars in the woods. The blacksmith told her a filthy story about a sailor and a mermaid, while a pair of old grandmothers were especially hard to escape, for she'd made the terrible mistake of announcing she didn't know how to knit and they'd made it their mission to try and teach her every stitch in one afternoon. There was a lovely brown mare Oralia made a friend of, a tiny angry dog that was for certain her newest enemy, and when they let her, she pet every cat she came across.

Somewhere along the way, Oralia lost all sense of time and her original goal of finding the Apothecary. However, she did find a wild patch of winter mint and purple crocus and she was quite pleased!

• Sweet
"Are you sure you weren't followed?"

Dyami looked calmly at the older woman, one of the village's leader, across the room. After separating from Ori, he was rounded up by Mak, a childhood friend, and taken to the town hall where a small group had formed. Her name was Talasi, and she apparently needed an impromptu report from Dyami. Beside her sat her mate, Pachu'a, and four others that made up the council: Kyah, Mak, Lyarra, and Hawiovi.

"Yes. The Rukae aren't concerned about chasing down refugees if they're more trouble than they're worth."

"But you didn't lead them to our doorstep, did you?" Kyah asked. Dyami took a breath for himself before looking at the hot-headed woman.

"Patrol didn't report any stragglers or infiltrators, did they?" Kyah huffed at the counter but said nothing more. "I'm not saying Linvharis isn't in their sights, but for now I believe we're safe." Dyami looked back to Talasi and Pachu'a. "Did you reach out to other packs?"

"Yes," Pachu'a answered. "Intel confirms most packs weren't targeted, but..."

"Everyone has lost someone in this war," Talasi finished somberly. "We requested help in case the Rukae are on their way. We'll be lucky to get any. People are still scared and busy fortifying their own. Therefore, it might be in our best interest to move elsewhere."

"Abandon the whole village??" Mak repeated in disbelief.

"We can't do that!" Kyrah concurred. "This is our home!"

Unease filled the room until Hawiovi, one of the village's most respected elders, raised his hand and silenced it. "The Rukae are not known to be merciful. Dyami and I can attest to that, as can others in the village. We may not have to leave, or it may be our only choice." He looked at each person. "If that time comes, remember that home is more about the people you are with."

"But the forest..." Lyarra started sadly. Dyami felt a pang of sadness himself, but he felt pity for Lyarra. Her love of the forest helped her advance into being the head of patrol.

"We are connected to this place," Talasi confirmed, acknowledging Lyarra's pain. "But it would not be lost to us forever, and don't forget that we are already connected to others. The world is big, Lyarra."

The meeting lasted another hour or so. Dyami gave as much detail as he could about his last sighting and smelling of the Rukae, of thieves and mercenaries he encountered, and lastly about the woman he brought to Linvharis. Thankfully, not everyone had a field day teasing him, and he decided to swing by Aodhain's. Turned out that Ori hadn't stopped by, which made him feel a sick sort of triumph. He bought the coat, but only to rub it in her face.

Then he returned home only to fall asleep. It was in the late afternoon when he woke up, and Ori still wasn't back. He hadn't let himself worry about it when he returned earlier, but now... What if she ran away? She wasn't that stupid, was she? There was a chance she ended up at Kinshra's, but why did he get the feeling that wasn't the case?

He imagined her and Kinshra together, having a ball talking about different plants. Hopefully, it would be enough to divert Ori's attention away from his love life. But then again, Kinshra did offer to make him a "love tincture" once. He escaped before she could even explain what it was.

Shit, what if her and Ori were in cahoots now!? Would people ever just leave him alone?? But enough about him! He had to make sure Ori didn't end up rolling down a hill somewhere.

Dyami's first stop at Kinshra's wasn't successful. Not even a sighting of Tiny Ori, and Dyami's earlier triumph was starting to slowly but surely morph into worry.

That was, until, he was stopped by the very grandmothers who herded Ori into their knitting group and they gave him a general direction. Lo and behold, he followed it and ended up catching her scent, which led him just a little ways deeper into the village where many herbs and wild plants grew beside a creek. Admiring and picking some of the plants was exactly who he was looking for.

"Charmed the grannies instead of the love of your life, did ya?"

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
Oralia hadn't heard him approach and for a split second he'd scared the ever loving daylights out of her. She had half a mind to shout at him, but then she'd have to admit that he'd scared her and she wasn't willing to do so. Instead, she remained silent for a moment, wrinkling up her nose as her heartbeat settled back down and plucked a few more flowers and herbs for her bundle.

"It isn't as simple as finding a wolf in the wood, you know. That will take time." she finally responded, breezily enough.

She tilted her head to regard him curiously and then glanced up at the sky. Oh, she had been out and about for quite awhile! It was actually kind of lovely just spending a cool day out doors and not huddle up somewhere frightened and alone.

Seemingly no longer in a huff about their earlier scuffle, she presented her bundle of goodies with a wide smile.

"They smell nice, yes? The mint can make a tea, but these crocus are not the edible ones. The ones you can eat are so hard to find! The Grandmothers gave me a set of knitting needles as well, though now I will need yarns to try and make socks and scarves of my own. They also have many nice granddaughters and grandsons all unmarried."

Dyami half-expected to find Ori with smudged dirt on her cheeks and twigs in her hair, maybe a few bumps and bruises. But she seemed entirely unharmed. He wasn't sure if he was impressed or not.

He briefly looked at the plants she picked, but soon caught her eyes again. She sneaked in the romance too easily. He didn't have the energy to fight it, so he did what naturally came next.

"Oh? Are you proposing polygamy?" He crossed his arms. "The elders will have a field day with that one." He scanned the area around them, wondering how long she'd been picking plants. "Kinshra closed for the day, but she offered dinner." He nodded his head towards the path he came. "Let's go, woodling."

"There are countries where it is custom to have many husbands and wives, so you should not tease where the Grandmothers might hear you or you will have a very full house," she responded matter-of-factly.

With her bundle of flowers and herbs in hand, Oralia quickly caught up to him and fell into an easy step at his side. With the sunlight, fresh air, and finally having proper rest and food again, there was a nice healthy flush to her skin and a brightness to her eyes that hadn't quite been there before. She was appearing less and less like a lost waif, and more like a devastatingly lovely young woman.

Especially when she smiled wide, completely unbothered by his vexation of romantic talk.

"I quite like the idea of a beautiful farm instead of a cold stone castle. It is what many ancient clans used to be before they began building walls and cities."

Dyami cocked his head. He didn't think Ori would be so open-minded about such a subject, but was she truly open-minded or was she merely being diplomatic? He supposed it didn't really matter. Even if she had stuck up her nose at the idea, he'd only been teasing.

"It is easier to picture ya getting your hands dirty in a garden," he admitted. "Rather than - y'know, in a big gown trying to entertain the masses." But that might've just been because he'd never seen her in such an environment. Grey eyes glanced at the peppy figure beside him. It was a complete turn around from just a few days prior. The determination never left her, but there was real energy in her now - not her just fighting to survive.

Whatever she didn't talk about, whatever haunted her in her dreams... he hoped, at the very least, it didn't keep her from continuing to progress.

Eventually, they came to a small home with plants growing out of every crevice: on the walls, from the overhang of the roof, lining the stone path that led to the door. To most people, it looked like a garden that had gotten out of hand, weeds taking over with a vengeance. But there was carefully crafted deliberation for each shrub and stem. Flowers, herbs, and seasonal fruits and vegetables thrived off each other or kept others at bay - a flora harmony years in the making.

"Mansi, c'mon!" A mature, feminine voice sounded from within the house. "We're having people over for dinner and I need your help." Suddenly, a young girl emerged from the corner of the house. Brown hands brushed long, black hair away from her eyes as she stared at the pair in front of her grandma's home. At the sight of Dyami, she smiled widely.

"Hi Dyami! Are you here for dinner?"

"Sure am," he replied. "Me and Ori." He gestured towards his companion.

Mansi's smile turned shy as she nodded. "Hello..."

Oralia found herself immediately in love with this home covered in all sorts of flora - some she didn't even know the names of! It seemed just the sort of place she could spend hours and hours exploring and getting to know everything she came across.

At the girl's sudden presence Oralia smiled, but hesitated as she tried to remember Dyami's instructions. She had to mind the way she spoke, and she still hadn't quite figured out how to phrase things in a more natural way.

"Greetings! I am the Ori?" With that strange announcement, she pulled one of the flowers from her bundle and earnestly offered it to the girl.

• Haha
"Greetings! I am the Ori?"

..... What the....

Dyami looked at the woman beside him in confusion. Was she trying to make the kid laugh?? He opened his mouth, but Mansi beat him to the punch line as she stared up at Ori, giggling.

"Your friend is funny," she told Dyami as she accepted the flower.

"It's okay, Mansi. You can say weird," he said casually. He peeked at Ori and a crack of a smile escaped. Still shy, not wanting to be rude after the sweet gesture, and also somewhat used to Dyami's antics, Mansi simply rolled her eyes.

"C'mon, Granny's waiting for us inside."

Inside was Kinshra, who quickly enlisted the girl's help to set the table before greeting her guests. Despite being paler than her granddaughter and hair greying with age, there was a deeply-set familial resemblance in the eyes and nose. "Ah, so you're the new friend Dyami was so worried about," she said with a quick lookover. Dyami opened his mouth to protest at her choice of words, but was once again beat. "Oh! And I see you've got some crocus there. And - what is that??" Eyes squinted. "Oh, mint. Lovely. What made you pick those?"

At least Miss Mansi appreciated her greeting, even if Dyami had deemed her weird. In Dyami's opinions everything she did was likely weird!

Watching with quite a bit of curiosity at the ritual of table setting, Oralia almost forgot about her bundle of flowers and herbs. Brightly, she smiled and was happy to talk about her findings.

"It is a good find, yes? It makes a lovely tea and I feel it would help Dyami's home smell much fresher," she stated matter-of-fact.

Now that she was here, she understood why Dyami had scoffed about Kinshra being a potential mate. Though she was a lovely woman, she was quite a good deal older. It wouldn't do to match him with grandmothers when he needed someone young enough to have little wolfs of his own with.

"Was he terribly worried about me?" she asked curiously, spying at Dyami from the corner of her eye. Would serve him right after his huffing!

"Oh?" Kinshra's eyebrows rose. While she could tell Ori was teasing, she wanted to shift direction. A little nudge, so-to-speak. Dyami finally got a word in, however.

"My house stinks??" He asked Ori, genuinely taken aback and concerned. Nobody had ever told him! Well, actually, his mother always went on about opening the windows or door to "air it out," but she never said it really smelled. Maybe he needed to heed her word a little more instead of brushing it off so quickly...

He wasn't sure if Ori really heard him, however, since she was trained on Kinshra. In fact, he was starting to feel like he didn't really exist.

"I always thought Dyami sported a nice scent," Kinshra voiced with a shrug. "Though I've never been in his home. That's not all uncommon with men, I'm afraid."

At Ori's question, the only male in the room took that as his cue to leave. Knowing he wasn't safe there, he busied himself with helping Mansi. Kinshra smiled. "Of course. Should'a seen it! I haven't seen him worked up like that in a while."

"Okay, table's set," Dyami announced, well aware of the fact they were still talking about him. "Let's not disrespect Mansi's hard work."