The Dragons' Run - Act 1

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Jensa:

"Thank you. I will do what I can. Please, if you could supply some basic medical tools and balms, in case more treatment is necessary, I would greatly appreciate your help. But for now, please allow me a few minutes alone with Saria, thank you."

The nurse gone, Jensa appraised the surrounding room. Open window for sunlight, fresh air, plants to soothe the mind, clean bandages and the signs of tender care and compassion for the injured woman were apparent. The bustle and vibrancy of the town was muted, but audible, enabling peaceful contemplation. Candles and some mild incense burning at the foot of the bed. Few outside the Serpents truly understood how Fire and Wood were intrinsically linked; even as Fire consumed Life, neither could one truly live without the flame. The essence of life itself was welcome here, these mortal healers knew their art better than Jensa for certain, but the Serpent's innate feel for the ebb and flow of essence provided insight equal to years of study.

She sat next to Saria, and took her limp left hand in hers, growing accustomed to her warmth, the feel of her skin, the weak pulse of her blood, letting these sensations take priority over the sounds outside, the smell of the plants, everything, until the room faded away to the mere ties of essence between life and life, and there was just Jensa and Saria, hand in hand, at the centre of it all, one heartbeat echoing another. Slowly, she examined every injury with her free hand, starting with the unusual lump in her side. Her touch gentle as a lover's, her eyes focused as if spying on the injury itself, she considered the nature and origin of each ugly tangle in the wider, beautiful, living tapestry of Saria's being.

[Perception+Medicine for diagnosis, 1m peripheral spent on excellency for extra die and +1 non-charm success, 2-point stunt adds 2 dice and 1 success, as well as +1 willpower, which I will spend for +1 success. Jensa's anima is showing faintly, like burning leaves]

[Ouch. 3 successes, none from the roll.]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Sideris
@Sarky

It's hard to make out, the pulses of her life energy are disturbed and erratic, but you get enough. The flow of her Essence is interrupted by dozens of little flaring snags and snarls - bruises, hairline fractures, cuts - none of which are life-threatening, but there are two great rents in her pattern that sicken you to feel. One of her ribs is broken badly from landing on an outcropping of rock, the bone protruding through the skin like a spike. Worse, the other end of the shattered rib has slit something deep inside her, and she's bleeding internally.

The other is her skull, just above the eyebrow. A bad fracture here, and swelling on the brain. You can tell from the angle and placement relative to the other injuries that this wasn't produced by the fall. She was struck with a blunt weapon.

She's dying, slowly.

Jensa:

Shit.

Jensa called loudly for the old nurse as she began removing the bedsheets and clothing to better access the broken rib. First, she dragged the bed nearer the open window, so the sunshine would clearly illuminate the work to come. she snapped a pair of legs off the bed, to tilt the wound above and drain blood away from the leak. Then, she took the largest plant pot in the room and emptied it in the corner, before placing it like a bucket by the abdominal swelling, surrounded by the discarded blankets. She took the incense and rearranged it near Saria's head so the scent might further ease her troubled soul, uttering a swift prayer to any gods of healing or luck that might be nearby:

"Shitshitshittingfuckshit I hope this works please let this work"

Finally, she removed the ornate pin she used to keep her hair up. The point was needle-fine, and the small, ornamental Caerdath mon at the end was razor sharp. She let her anger at the woman's assault flare, and her hand burst into flame in sympathy, bathing the improvised scalpel in cleansing heat.

By the time the nurse arrived, Jensa had already cut Saria open, blood spattered across her clothes and face but mostly drained into the plant pot. She was feeling ahead with one slender hand to guide the blade away from fragile blood vessels and critical viscera. Occasionally she cut with a minimal twitch of the wrist, causing another small spurt of blood, quickly stopped as Jensa cauterised the damage with a gentle touch of fire essence. Every now and then she stopped to take stock, and her eyes blazed with fiery intensity as she *willed* her senses sharper to manoeuvre the needle end of her hairpin around a delicate impasse to open the way to the source of the injury.

The room was clammy from steam as her elemental power surfaced and dried the blood on and around her, and the air tasted of copper and blossoms as anima intermingled with blood. She did not look up at the sound of the door or the gasp of surprise. Instead, she spoke calmly, authoritatively.

"Nurse, thank you for coming. Listen carefully; this woman is bleeding internally, and her brain is badly swollen. I am attempting to treat the bleeding, but for the swelling I require cold and soothing balms. If you have ice, or cold stones, or bowls of cold water, please bring as much as possible, and submerge the head while letting her breathe. Even a nearby Serpent of the Air, the swelling must be cooled immediately. Hurry, now."

She continued to cut carefully around the broken bone to enable extraction, and gently quested with her fingertips to find the source of the bloodloss.

[Int + Medicine to remove the broken rib and seal the cut causing the internal bleeding. Say 3m on Precision Observation Method every now and then to do the surgery equivalent of "I check for traps". Spending 1m to create fire for cauterising, 1m for Medicine excellency(+1die, +1 success), 1wp (+1 success), Three Dice Stunt gives 2 successes and 2 dice]

[1 success from roll, 5 from charms/willpower/stunt, 6 total]

@Sarky

The work is slow, painstaking, and exhausting, but eventually you find the nicked vein deep in Saria's body and sear it closed. You sense the flows of essence in the area begin to strengthen as you pull your hand free of the chest cavity, and the nurse brings you a bowls of water and strong spirit to cleanse yourself. As you work she has procured ice made packs, which she has placed on Saria's brow. The wound there seems eased, too - you won't have to trepan her, thankfully. It's a little more time before you can set the broken rib back in alignment and an awe-struck healer who has come go watch gently begins to sew your patient up, cleaning the wound with more spirits and muttering prayers to local gods for aid.

You've attracted quite an audience, come to see you dance a very different dance. Their faces are rapt with wonder at seeing a Serpent work, but the real satisfaction is in knowledge.

She'll live. You saved her.

While Saria's survival seems assured, her head wound means she won't wake up for some time - and from the mutterings of the healers, no-one is sure what her mind will be like when she does. You've done a noble thing, and know now at least she was attacked, but you'll find no more answers from her.

Reactions: Sarky
Yvara

When Jensa turns from her patient, she'll find Yvara standing there, patient, admiring.

Yvara holds out a small cup of tea to the healer in front of her.

"You're a marvel, Jensa. Saria may yet walk the isles again, and Galen's wee heart may be whole. Thank you."

She will wait until Jensa's hands are clean before fully offering her that tea, and then continue.

"How do you feel her recovery may proceed? I hold out no hope of questioning her any time soon, so I'll not be bothering her in that regard. I just hate to see any of us so stricken."

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Chaka
Jensa:

Jensa took the tea with a nod and a shrug. "Least I could do, we all began as mortal as them."

She took a sip, considering her next words. Gesturing to lead Yvara to a quiet corner, she spoke quietly.

"She has several bad fractures, so full recovery will take months, but she'll live to see it now. Only time will tell if the blow to the head has left any hidden damage. In any case, I don't think you'll need to question her; most of her injuries are from hitting the rocks, yes, but that head wound... It's not consistent with a fall like that. I believe the child was right, it was an attack. I regret to say you're here on business after all."

She stifled a yawn, downed the rest of the tea and set about tying her long dark hair back up, her face once again a perfect mask of civility and friendly charm.

"Speaking of business, this has been quite a taxing day and I still have a show to perform tonight. The woman is safe, barring some second mysterious attack. If it's all the same to you, I'm going back to the hearth home for some rest. And a particularly hot bath. Blood stains do not at all suit what I had in mind for tonight's entertainment."

@Sarky @FuzzMonster

As you converse, a tall, lean man staggers towards you like a drunk from a nearby room. He doesn't smell of alcohol, and as he draws closer you can see he's been weeping. If not for the height and the beard, you'd swear Galen had aged twenty years in a day.

As he draws closer, he sinks to his knees and fully kowtows, pressing his forehead against the floorboards. "Bless you! Luna herself sent you to us! My Saria, they say her wounds... bless you! We can never repay you, we owe you so, so much-"

This litany of thanks continues from ankle height for some time.

Abyss' Black Reach

Abyss strolls up to the small group, picking her way through the sitting children to reach the front. "Hello again, Garel, it's been some time. Don't suppose I could borrow your ear for a moment? It's moderately urgent." She gestures towards the door behind the spidery man.

Jensa:

"Oh please get up sir, I need no thanks."

Jensa helped the man to his feet. She was stronger than she looked. She gave him a friendly pat on the shoulder. Her glowing anima left a slight singe mark. "Ahem. Sorry. But listen to me now: your wife will survive, I managed that much, but the injuries are still serious, and she will require a lot of care and rest as she heals, do you understand? The knock to her head might have jarred some memories loose too, so keep an eye out for odd behaviour or memory loss, and if in doubt call a healer. I'll try to visit after my business with your clan leaders is done. But for now, let her rest. And get some rest yourself, this must have been so tough on you and your little man! I'm sure the nurses won't mind if you settle down here for a while to be with your wife."

She looked around at the gathering.

"That goes for the rest of you too, unless you're here to change bandages or ice packs then out you go, give the patient some peace and quiet!"

She traipsed back up to the hearth home and sought out Feray. Minutes later she was submerged in scalding hot water, letting the tension slip away, a small measure of spirits in one hand and a scrubbing brush in the other, with a soft bed to look forward to after. With instructions to Kato and Sato to wake her plenty of time before festivities got started, she hit the pillows like the fist of an angry god, and dreamed of dancing on cliff edges.

Reactions: Chaka
@Hair

Garel looks up, his face broadening into a wide grin as he sees you. "Well I'll be. Abyss' Black Reach in the flesh, and on Seppish. You're looking well, Cylin, and fair seas to you. How's your uncle?" As he unsteadily rises to his feet he shoos the children away. "That's enough for today, you lot. Go enjoy Sundering, and come back in two days and we can continue."

He potters inside, and you follow. Once no-one else is around he draws up to his full height and tosses the cane into a corner, walking with the light step of a younger man. "So much of being an island's sage and sorcerer is theatrics," he tells you with a mischievous smile. He bids you sit at a rough-hewn driftwood table begins to make tea noisily in the kitchen. The house looks the part too; mysterious-looking herbs and seagrasses dangle from rafters, and there is a mad clutter of books, scrolls and tablets all around. Garel is mortal, but he's a competent sorcerer. "So, is this a social call?"

Banoron Cylin

"And cloudless skies to you, Garel. Bharat was well, last I heard. He's been stuck in the Dojo for the last couple of years. They got a load of new recruits through, and I know first hand how much he enjoys busting their balls." She sits on the offered seat and raises her voice, to be heard above the din. "I wish that it could just be a social call, it's rude to ask a favor of a friend you haven't seen in some time, but I'm afraid I must. Doubtless you've heard about the badness with Galen's mother. The minnow believes she was assaulted, and the assailants made good on their escape by sea. If it's true I'm going to have to hunt the fuckers down. Unfortunately I came on my three-master, Wavestrider. While the bitch is a monster on the open seas she just can't navigate the straits nearer the coast too easy." She accepts the cup of tea, laying it in front of her as the handle-less cup heats her palms. "I'm going to need to get a couple of messages back to Banoron, preferably faster than the wind, and was wondering if you'd be able to help me? I promise we'll catch up before I leave, and any assistance I can tender you will be yours."

@Hair

Garel's expression sours. "Bad business. Who would attack a defenseless woman and leave her for dead? No Seppishman, I believe." He hands you a bowl of pungent tea. "I'll help you of course. But are you sure they've fled the island? The northern cliffs are a warren of sea stacks and smuggler's coves. What aid can you summon from Banoron that will arrive today?"

Banoron Cylin

"Whether they've fled the island or no, the sea is the only way we'll be getting at them. I have a small brig in Banoron harbour. Crestclipper only has a skeleton crew, but if they put every yard on the wind they should be here this evening. That should give our good magistrate time to get her investigations done, and for me to get my men ready for some hunting,"

@Hair

Garel nods. "As you say, old friend." He drains his tea in one and stands, cracking his knuckles. "What is your message and who am I sending it to?"

Abyss' Black Reach

"It's going to my interim captain on Crestclipper, Nogura. The message is to say 'Bad business on Seppish. Best get all hands to Crestclipper, because if you're not here by Sun's last wink I'll swim with you as you're keelhauled and make sure you get nice and cozy with the hull, Her as my witness.'"

@Hair

Garel stands, stretching like a cat. His back pops audibly, and he signs in relief. "Well, best get started."

He leads you upstairs to the attic, the only part of the house with clear floorspace. The walls, windows, floor, even the ceiling - all of them are covered in daubed sigils, snatches of Old Realm, even what at first glance appears to be the clawing of a wild animal - though closer inspection suggests even these seemingly random gouges in the wood have meaning. Garel is humming tunelessly as he works, stripping to the waist and lighting a series of fat beeswax candles at geomantically significant points of the room. Old as he is, he is still lashed cords of muscle, and you suspect he is far stronger than he looks. "Unlike you Serpents, we mortal sorcerers need a little more wind-up to get a good spell going. And it plays havoc on my digestion, let me tell you." He gives you a wry, sideways smile as he begins chalking over some of the sigils on the floor, ignoring others. He snatches a bundle of dried herbs from a side table and swings them around casually, like a child playing with a stick. Then, with careful deliberation, he stamps down hard on an exposed nail sticking out from a loose floorboard.

Hissing in pain and shock, Garel jerks his foot free of the spike and begins a slow, langorous path around the room, trailing a line of dripping blood from his wounded foot. He begins humming again, maddeningly, all off-beats and bum notes, moving with a strange grace as he traces a spiral towards the room's centre, eyes closed and moving a path of habit and instinct. On the edge of hearing, you hear alien buzzing harmonics counterplay against the not-music coming from the old man's mouth. As he closes towards the centre of the room he begins to dance, swaying and moving in rapid, jerking steps around and around, ever inwards. The bundle of herbs in his hands begins to emit faint, pungent smoke.

As he reaches the centre of the room his eyes snap open. They are white, no pupil or iris. He opens his mouth, the humming now entirely independent of his body. He holds the smoking herb bundle in front of his face, mouth open in a soundless howl. As he lowers his gaze to yours, for a brief moment you feel a buffet of immense power. An inhuman wail begins issuing from Garel as the herbs fully catch fire with crazed emerald flame. He throws the flaming herb skyward and they burst in midair into a small, ugly flying sprite. It flitters around the room for a moment like a fly trying to escape a room, then vanishes.

Garel stops moving, standing stock still for a moment. His eyes flutter for a second, then roll down out of his head. "Luna's furred tits, that's always a rush."

He giggles for a second, then collapses.

Reactions: FuzzMonster
Yvara

And now I know where I'm sleeping tonight.

As Jensa is leaving, Yvara wanders over to the man and lays a hand on his shoulder.

"It is a mercy that Saria will live. However, it is a sad necessity that a magistrate must now inquire as to what has happened. I'll not disturb you tonight, and I encourage you to sit with your wife, and rest by her side. Tomorrow, if I may, I'll need to ask you for some information. Sleep well."

Yvara will shepherd the man over to the wall of the sickroom, and quietly arrange a bedroll for him so that he may stay with his wife....and so that she can keep him and his wife in the same room overnight. While we're at it, she's also going to have a think about how he's coming across, and do a quick Read on him.

The current plan right now is for Yvara to arrange for him to be able to stay here, and she's also going to get a few blankets for herself and sleep lightly for a few hours...tucked behind a couple of crates of supplies and a stack of blankets in the corner, and before she snoozes she's gonna activate the first Evocation of Bell Beneath The Waves. The one enhancing her sneakiness while she remains still.

Yvara suspicious.

Read Intentions, 10 dice, spending 2m peripheral on an autosuccess. 7 total successes for a read on him.

embed

If all is on the level, then I should also proceed to making a Stealth roll.

@FuzzMonster

He's an open book, and totally distraught. He has no idea what happened to his wife, and both his terror and gratitude are completely genuine. He'll also be more than happy to help you in any way with your inquiries, and tells you so repeatedly before going to be by his wife. He asks one of the nurses to check on Galen up in the Hearth before sinking into a chair at Saria's bedside, clutching her hand and constantly talking to her in a low whisper.

You're offered any accommodation you want, but eventually the nurses relent and you're given a clean bedroll and a quiet patch of floor in a store-room. It's near Saria's room, and you can hear people passing by easily enough.

Yvara

That's good. Yvara will smile sweetly, put her bedroll in the corner of Saria's room and sit there perfectly quietly, half dozing. Should any nurse object, that nurse will find himself quietly informed that Yvara is just fine right here, thank you. Saria's husband could do with a wee cup of sweet tea to calm himself, though.

She settles in to snooze...and wait.

Stealth roll, 8 dice due to Evocation, 4m peripheral.

embed

@FuzzMonster

The rest of the day passes uneventfully, and you doze on and off as Saria's husband keeps talking to her in a low, pleading tone. Galen comes in at one point and sits wordlessly on his father's lap. Both of them forget you're there. As time wears on, you hear the sounds of revelry coming through from outside. It's time.

@Sarky
"My lady. My lady, it's almost time."

You stir awake, Kato and Sato standing over you, already dressed in their dancer's garb. "It's almost sunset, my lady. You have time to get ready. Peleps Daejon is here, and there's an Immaculate with him." The word is spat. "The Immaculate was in town earlier, unaccompanied, in contravention of the Pact. The Dynasts grow bold."

@Hair
Garel recovers swiftly, binding his foot with fresh linen bandages. "The message is delivered, word for word." He bids you excuse him, as he needs time to recover from the casting. As time passes, preparations for the festivities continue. As evening comes on, your second ship sails in to port. People begin making their way up to Hearth Hall, where a bonfire has been built up outside and food and drinks are being laid out.