4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Nonbinary
  2. Transgender
  3. Agender
  4. Primarily Prefer Male
  5. No Preferences
Genres
fantasy (of all stripes; high, low, modern, etc), post-apocalyptic, sci-fi / space opera, pretty much any "-punk" genre (steampunk, mythpunk, cyberpunk, etc.)
🙦 Wanderhome 🙥
Check out the signup thread for more info!

While this will be my first here on Iwaku, I'm no stranger to running smaller-knit group roleplays! I do want to keep this limited to about 3 to 6 active players at a time, but anyone will be able to come and go as they please due to how Wanderhome is set up.

We will not have a set gamemaster for this, and instead all will share the role of storyteller.

Wanderhome itself is a pastoral fantasy world of little animal-folk travelers and insect creatures. We'll journey to all manner of places, from sweeping meadows to grand castles, tiny rivers that flow through mushroom forests, to forgotten vineyards. The setting is a peaceful one, but the land & animal denizens have been recovering from a long ravaging war. Scars are still healing.

Players are generally expected to follow common courtesy rules for roleplays, such as not metagaming, not godmodding. mitigating character bleed, and making sure they're familiar with the mechanics of the game itself.

Posting expectations are roughly Intermediate & above, but higher Elementary-level writers are welcome too!

As for possibly sensitive content...
  • Bugs. Insects of many stripes are this setting's wildlife & domestic species, so insectophobes might wanna sit this one out.
  • There may be references to "natural" drugs such as pipe weed & smoking, as well as alcohol, given the Tolkien-esk setting.
  • Violence will be relatively tame (unless we decide otherwise).
  • Mental health issues, such as grief, depression, anxiety, among other struggles, may crop up in varying amounts, depending on the tone we as a group wish to go with.
  • There won't be any explicit scenes in the main thread; anything of sexual nature will fade to black / switch scenes, but players are welcome to take these elsewhere!

I'll eventually be sharing the full rulebook to help facilitate play, but in the meantime, interested players can download & view the playkit demo on itch.io to get an overview of how the Wanderhome system works!

Wanderhome does not use dice. Instead, it uses a give & gain system of tokens. Said tokens aren't an in-universe thing, and are strictly for the players. Tokens are spent on things like solving a material or immediate problem, learning something important about the place you're in, or easing someone's pain — even if only for a moment. Tokens are gained by characters doing things like speaking their true feelings on a subject, or taking a moment to watch a tiny moment of beauty & describing it to the group.

Your character will have a playbook specific list of things they can always do that you don't need to spend a token on. Some actions from this list will net you or another player a token, if the requirements are met ;]

Player characters themselves will be limited to 2 active characters per-player, but NPCs can be controlled by just about anyone (unless otherwise specified). However, NPCs aren't just limited to characters; places themselves can be "controlled" in a way. Not only that, but both NPCs and places have actions that allow player characters to gain tokens.

The whole idea of Wanderhome is about the journey, sometimes the destination, the bonds players forge, and the passage of time. Seasons come and seasons go, cycles roll on. Since this is meant to be a more laid-back atmosphere, seasons will change when we want them to. There will not be any kind of "real-life-month equals X amount of time in-game" mechanic, so any busy players can rest at ease.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Kuno
Pastoral fantasy, huh? That sounds absolutely delightful. I'm very interested.

• Love
Reactions: tapedeck
updated with a little questionnaire for interested players to fill out! this is to see what kind of overall tone we'd wanna go for, and to gauge what won't be present in our journey~

@Bone2pick
nicee! :D once we get another interested player, i can send the full rules via group DMs, and we can all start going over playbooks & ideas, as well as any questions folks might have!
in the meantime, i updated the main post with a little questionnaire (that i had initially forgotten to add, Whoops) - so you're free to fill that out at your leisure ^v^

Reactions: Bone2pick
@Bone2pick
signup thread's been created !! it's got everything but the character sheets, which will get added once we get the minimum number of interested participants :D
i've also moved the questionnaire to the signup thread, as that feels like where it should actually be lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Bone2pick
This is a wonderful concept! I've never played animal folk before, so it might take me a little bit of time to find a face claim. Hope that's alright! I should have something by this weekend

• Love
Reactions: tapedeck
This is a wonderful concept! I've never played animal folk before, so it might take me a little bit of time to find a face claim. Hope that's alright! I should have something by this weekend
aw, thank you !! also totally chill, take as much time as ya need~