ADDITIONAL INFO CHARACTER INDEX OUT OF CHARACTER WORLDBUILDING The Roads We Take | a Wanderhome game

then i think that settles it >:] Carnival, Moor, & Shore it is!

so, next up is the 2 Aesthetic Elements & 1 Folklore we get to assign to this place. i should also note that we pick 2 per-nature, not overall! so we'll end up with 6 aesthetics & 3 bits of folklore~

Carnival Aesthetic Elements
Ѻ Strange Actors
Ѻ Extravagant Displays Of Excess
Ѻ A Mysterious Performance
Ѻ A Hungry Crowd
Ѻ Masquerade Accoutrements
Ѻ A *Glamorous Friend Who Has Reinvented Themself
Ѻ Something Else Of Your Own Invention​
Folklore
Ѻ The Girl With A Thousand Masks
Ѻ The Neverending Wine Glass
Ѻ The Slobbering God And The Immorality Feast

Moor Aesthetic Elements
Ѻ Distant Wasp-Caws
Ѻ Patches Of Wetland
Ѻ A Thin Mist
Ѻ Gnarled Trees
Ѻ A Shiver Down Your Back
Ѻ A ‡Nervous Teen Sneaking Away For Their Love
Folklore
Ѻ The Devil-Dog And Its Prey
Ѻ The Heron And Her Murdered Lover
Ѻ The Lost Army Of The First Queen

Shore Aesthetic Elements
Ѻ Driftwood, Bleached By Sun And Salt
Ѻ Signs Of The Impending Tide
Ѻ Flotsam And Jetsam Scattered Far And Wide
Ѻ The Voice Of The Waves
Ѻ Little Pockets Of Thriving Life
Ѻ The High-Tide Line, Off In The Distance
Ѻ A Cheerful Castaway Who Has Built A New Life Amidst The Wreckage.
Folklore
Ѻ How The Mouse Maiden's Song Held Back The Tide.
Ѻ The Drowned Palace Of The North Wind God, Lost Beyond The Horizon.
Ѻ The Day The Waves Caught Fire.

Last edited:
For some of the aesthetics, ones that kinda instantly jumped out at me were...
  • Masquerade Accoutrements

• A Thin Mist

• Driftwood, Bleached By Sun And Salt
the driftwood makes me think of any wooden aspects to the carnival (booths, stages, seating) were all made from driftwood found on the far distant shore. the misty moor is a given, considering our ideas~ the Masquerade Accoutrements one is mostly just because i love a good mask, but also because i think it'd be kinda interesting what a tropical / oceanic masquerade would look like.

I realized my initial instincts went full King in Yellow of 'a mysterious Performance', 'a thin mist', and 'The Drowned Palace Of The North Wind God, Lost Beyond The Horizon.' which is a little dark for this style RP :D

But yeah, for aesthetics of that kind of thing I agree thin mist and the driftwood seems good. Though for masquerade that might be a bit adult for husun though I can see it. A sort of Halloween kind of celebration, maybe? where everyone is in some level of transition? though the other one that interests me would be 'strange actors' in the vein of the unusual nature of the carnival.

I came up with a possible reason and theme for the carnival in case we felt we needed and/or wanted one. If we don't want one, or if either of you would like to go with a different reason & theme, that's perfectly alright with me.

Here's what I came up with: There could be a school of kith stargazers (astronomer types with arcane methods) which, through the power of their mysterious arts, have the ability to predict when and where a fallen star will land. A team of those stargazers then sets up a camp at the landing sight to recover the meteorite for study.

Word got out over the years and curious regular folk began to come out to watch (like they do for a space shuttle launch in the real world) and their regular attendance grew into a carnival — the Stardust Carnival — with a starry, dazzling night sky theme.

This would justify the remote location of the carnival, as well as reinforce our storybook tone — falling stars are especially storybook.

Also: I'm cool with mist and driftwood.

• What a TWIST
Reactions: tapedeck
On mobile rn so my reply is gonna be short, but Oh My Gosh. Much as I liked the initial idea of a tropical carnival, I Love the image of an astronomy & star themed one. That has a way stronger mental image for me, not even mentioning the backstory (which im so on board for). I'm also a sucker for fallen star imagery specifically, so <3

Reactions: Bone2pick
I came up with a possible reason and theme for the carnival in case we felt we needed and/or wanted one. If we don't want one, or if either of you would like to go with a different reason & theme, that's perfectly alright with me.

Here's what I came up with: There could be a school of kith stargazers (astronomer types with arcane methods) which, through the power of their mysterious arts, have the ability to predict when and where a fallen star will land. A team of those stargazers then sets up a camp at the landing sight to recover the meteorite for study.

Word got out over the years and curious regular folk began to come out to watch (like they do for a space shuttle launch in the real world) and their regular attendance grew into a carnival — the Stardust Carnival — with a starry, dazzling night sky theme.

This would justify the remote location of the carnival, as well as reinforce our storybook tone — falling stars are especially storybook.

Also: I'm cool with mist and driftwood.
okay, now that i'm at my pc >:3 proper reply time!

again, i adore this new angle! which made me think we should trade out Shore for a different nature, since i don't really think it would totally fit with the astronomy theme.

Glen comes to mind as something possibly more fitting? maybe the fallen star affected the bugs/wildlife around the moor, making them just a touch magical in small, almost unnoticeable ways (or at least it's perceived as such)? all i can think about is the moor being devoid of fireflies for generations, only it comes alive with them after the meteorite lands; and the kith here refer to them as "starbugs" or something similar, because of that~

Hm, given Husun's sheet that would slot well with him as a neophyte in that sort of prediction. Or perhaps miss webbins might want him to go there for that reason for the experience. I picture the sky might look more like a river out of the heavens as the potentials burble into an actuality. Glen would work for such a thing. you'd want telescopes surrounded by tall hills or trees so the light from other towns/activity doesn't interfere. It'd make sense the astronomers would incite the carnival there by being out in the sticks as a result.

I picture the sky might look more like a river out of the heavens as the potentials burble into an actuality.
oh i Love that mental image *w* something like spacedust nebulas that are able to be seen on certain nights, and that come into focus on the night of the fallen star... ough yeah, we Gotta go with Glen as our third nature, that's too good to pass up. i feel like the fallen star itself serves as 1 of our 3 folklores, so we've got 2 more to pick~

Aesthetics for Glen are...
Ѻ Chittering Mantises​
Ѻ Cautious Pillbugs​
Ѻ Massive Beetles​
Ѻ Watchful Caterpillars​
Ѻ Soaring Dragonflies​
Ѻ A •Feral And Remarkable Creature That No One Has Seen For Hundreds Of Years​

& Folklores
Ѻ The Meadow Of The Lightning Dancers​
Ѻ The Last Of The Monarch Butterflies​
Ѻ The Day The Woods Walked​

also just thought of a name for the stargazers: Arcanomers, a mix of arcane/arcanists & astronomers~

• Love
Arcanomers definately sounds like something you'd built a fanciful sort of show around. :D

And I notice it's two per ascetic? arighty then..

Carnival
A mysterious performance (rise of the cosmomoths? the starflood?)
Masquerade accoutrements (carnival guests mimicking the arcanomers in some way?)
The Neverending Wine Glass (something to do with the color/nature of the magical effects or falling stars?)

Moor
Thin mist - The snaking fog rolling through the moor
A shiver down your back - Ozone? faint paths invisibly walked through the advancing mist as the meteor shower approaches? A sense of something about to happen rather than goosebumps.
The Lost Army Library Of The First Queen - something these kind of arcanomers might have as a tale that persists outside of them because of the carnival that arrived on top of them.

Glen
Soaring Dragonflies - Their darting habits and namesake would fit the look of the falling stars. Maybe they're nocturnal instead or signal the start of the shower?
A •Feral And Remarkable Creature That No One Has Seen For Hundreds Of Years - well, she's not quite feral but miss webbins can be a remarkably witchy curmudgeon. :) Though, perhaps something related to the fall of the dragons as the starfall reaches its apex?

I dig the idea of a subtle presence of ozone materializing throughout the moor just before and after the star lands.

oo yES, maybe the masquerade elements are more ren faire-ish, in that guests & carnies are dressed similarly to the original Arcanomers. i also like The Neverending Wine Glass being more of a reference to the environment, rather than a literal glass of wine >:] & "Starflood" sounds like Such a perfect name for the carnival !!

the shiver as more of an excitement or "treading in old footsteps" aspect feels so perfect, too. maybe that gets stronger the closer you are to the starfall site?
also love the idea of the library; maybe some folks thought the star was actually a place that "fell"? this library was "lost" when the Arcanomers left the moor (presumably to head back to their original observatory / library / university / etc).

i'm Always down for dragons & dragonfly imagery >;3 on top of being nocturnal, maybe their wings in particular are "star flecked," like glowing freckles/spots?
i think having the aesthetic gear more towards the former would be better, since it's supposed to be something that also exists outside of our characters! which, looking back at the list, made me notice a lil somethin' >:3

Watchful Caterpillars. reflecting the Arcanomers, maybe the caterpillars here are known for stargazing as well? or maybe they sleep in a way that makes them seem like they're always casting their gaze skyward at night? to tie into the dragon imagery, we could have them be actual dragon-headed caterpillars~

Last edited:
Dragonflies with iridescent/biolumenescent wings certainly would make them colorful. they'd leave little colorful refracted eddies in the fog wherever they went.

Watchful caterpillars could be lithovores with a life cycle like katydids? they sleep for months/years underground before hunting down the falling stars to eat when the date arrives. maybe triggered by that ozone feel. watching through the night like the arcanomers waiting for the stars to arrive.

Dragonflies with iridescent/biolumenescent wings certainly would make them colorful. they'd leave little colorful refracted eddies in the fog wherever they went.

Watchful caterpillars could be lithovores with a life cycle like katydids? they sleep for months/years underground before hunting down the falling stars to eat when the date arrives. maybe triggered by that ozone feel. watching through the night like the arcanomers waiting for the stars to arrive.

oOOH LOVE THAT >:D hell yeah, looks like we got our aesthetics & folklore figured out~

next couple things on the list: we'll need to decide what common species of kith we'll meet here. i'd imagine there'd be all manner of animals here, given the environment & festivities, but for some reason hedgehogs or maybe hares struck as me one of the common ones.

after that, the last but not least step for creating this place...

The person who's spoken the least during this entire process describes what forms the many small and forgotten gods of this place take.

next couple things on the list: we'll need to decide what common species of kith we'll meet here. i'd imagine there'd be all manner of animals here, given the environment & festivities, but for some reason hedgehogs or maybe hares struck as me one of the common ones.
Hedgehogs would be fun. As to my vote, I'm thinking bats.

bats would be So cute..... bats & hedgies being the most common sounds like a really good on-the-spot NPC starter~

adfsaecfh i love that channel-

bats do have very good night vision and ecolocation would probably be good for sussing out incoming projectiles.