4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Nonbinary
  2. Transgender
  3. Agender
  4. Primarily Prefer Male
  5. No Preferences
Genres
fantasy (of all stripes; high, low, modern, etc), post-apocalyptic, sci-fi / space opera, pretty much any "-punk" genre (steampunk, mythpunk, cyberpunk, etc.)

• :dragonfly:
    :scroll:
    :clover:
    :quill:

🙦 . 2 / 6 slots . 🙥

Most books contain stories within them, and they often know where the story will go and what, exactly, will happen. But one must be careful with stories — they are violent and cruel things after all, full of heroes and villains and triumph and conquest.

Stories are for kings and dragonslayers and for the blood-soaked hungry blades. It is easy, I have found, to seek to imprison the world inside our stories. To glorify the lives of powerful creatures, to celebrate their victories and mourn their tragedies. To build a reality where everything ties up neatly with a bow, and everything makes sense. There is a comfort in stories like these, disconnected from what it means to be alive.

But I'm not here for a story. I'm here for the journey.

leaf.png

"The Roads We Take" is a small group roleplay that uses the Wanderhome system & setting, focusing on traveling animal-folk & the changing of seasons. This roleplay will have no set Gamemaster; instead, all players will equally share the role of storyteller.

The very baseline of Wanderhome is thus: you are animal-folk in a world which was once at war and is now at peace. The game is about journey, exploration, and fellowship. It's interested in the way the seasons, world, and people change. It's not really concerned with overly complex stories, or extreme physical conflict.

While this will be my first here on Iwaku, I'm no stranger to running smaller-knit group roleplays! I want to keep this limited to about 3 to 6 active players at a time, but anyone will be able to come and go as they please due to how Wanderhome is set up. Players can bow out whenever they wish, but also come back and rejoin us if there's enough slots open at the time; new players can hop in just as easily, too.

Wanderhome does not use dice or numbered stats, and instead relies solely on collaboration, kindness, and a give-gain token system. You get a token when you do something at a cost to yourself, or by describing a moment in the world around you. You spend a token to push the story forward, solve something important, or make the world a kinder place.

Interested players can download and view the playkit demo to view an abridged version of the mechanics & a limited number of the available character playbooks, though a pdf of the full rulebook will be provided later via private messages to help further facilitate play.

If you're interested, you're welcome to fill out the questionnaire below! This is to gauge what everyone's exceptions are & figure out what kind of tone we want for our journey.
    [LIST] [*]Would you want a more pastoral and upbeat journey, or a world that lingers more heavily on trauma and recovery? [LIST] [*]your answer here [/LIST] [*]Do you want a more personal journey, focused on mundane issues and quandaries, or do you want a more tangled journey filled with mysterious and magical forces? [LIST] [*]your answer here [/LIST] [*]What kind of characters do you usually enjoy playing, or find interesting to explore? [LIST] [*]your answer here [/LIST] [LIST] [*]If you have a variety of archetypes you enjoy playing, what's your least and most played type(s)? [LIST] [*]your answer here [/LIST] [/LIST] [*]What are any hard limits you might have, regarding plot topics, tropes, genres, storylines, etc? [size=8px](This could be anything from love at first sight, kidnapping, or specific character dynamics; whether it squicks you out, is a trigger, or you just don't care for it, it should be listed here.)[/size] [LIST] [*]your answer here [/LIST] [*]On the flip side, what are some subjects, tropes, genres, or character dynamics that you absolutely can't get enough & would want to include? [LIST] [*]your answer here [/LIST] [/LIST]

Rules & Guidelines

All rules are subject to alteration & editing, because I don't always word something the way I actually want to the first time lol

Players are generally expected to follow common courtesy rules for roleplays, such as not metagaming, not godmodding. mitigating character bleed, and making sure they're familiar with the mechanics of the game itself.

There is no "X amount of time in the real world = Y amount of time in-game" mechanic, since this is meant to be a fairly laid back environment.
    Time skips and season changes must be agreed upon by all active players.​

Consent is key, above all. If you plan on doing anything that would affect another player's character(s), make sure they're okay with it!

AI generated faceclaims are not allowed. AI image algorithms are trained off stolen art, so I would prefer players not use them at all. Original beginner art, even if you deem it "bad" & don't consider yourself a (visual) artist, is worth a lot more than anything you'll get out of a generated prompt.

Posting expectations are roughly Intermediate & above, but higher Elementary-level writers are welcome as well!
    The main thing is making sure to provide something for other people to bounce off of.​

Participants are allowed to have 2 player characters active at a time. You're allowed as many concepts as your heart desires, but the active limit is in place to keep character bloat to a minimum.
    You'll be allowed to swap characters pretty much whenever you wish, but there may be a cooldown depending on how many you've already switched out! Do note this isn't a strict rule, though! This is a "just-in-case" rule, because Wanderhome has a pretty big focus on relationships and character growth; so changing your characters left and right would kinda defeat the purpose of that.​

Speaking of character creation: keep in mind that the setting is low fantasy! There won't be any modern items or clothing, but there is some very light steampunk elements. Think very early industrial revolution levels of tech; trains and steamboats, for example, are viable (if not shiny and new, and thus somewhat far and few between) methods of travel.
    In terms of character design? The only real limit is that insects & fish aren't applicable as playable species. However, marine mammals, such as seals, would be playable. General rule is if it can't survive above water, it probably won't fit for this setting.
    Mythical creatures as playable characters may be limited, depending on their lore. (Example, a unicorn would be fair game, if not incredibly rare to see just Out and About, but a classic dragon might be a little bit harder to sell.)​
    Other than that, go absolutely hog wild!! Semi-realistic is a baseline suggestion, but if your heart wants a pink cat, then make 'em pink. Accessories & clothes can be of any aesthetic that would best fit your vision for your character.

A few notes on the possibility of sensitive content that may or will crop up:
    • There will be bugs. Insects of many stripes serve as this setting's wildlife & domestic species, so insectophobes might wanna sit this one out.

• There may be references to "natural" drugs such as pipe weed & smoking, as well as alcohol in varying amounts, given the Tolkien-esk setting.

• Violence will be relatively tame (unless we decide otherwise).

• Mental health issues, such as grief, depression, anxiety, among other struggles, may crop up in varying amounts, depending on the tone we as a group wish to go with.

• There won't be any explicit scenes in the main thread; anything of sexual nature will fade to black / switch scenes, but players are welcome to take these elsewhere!

The Hæth

Taken from the entry on pages 7 & 8...

It is not my place to describe the entire history of the land of Hæth. After all, it wouldn't make for a good journey if I were to tell you such a thing, before we even put on our shoes.

Instead, I will simply mention that there are legends about this place that hang from the lips of every old shrew, a legend buried in every crevice of every stone. I will tell you there is a tale of the Slobbering God, and the Heavenblade used to kill her. I will tell you there are stories of the Lightning Dancers and their twirling bodies, stories of the North Wind God and the one brave mouse who stood against him. And there is, too, the tale of the great death that all dragons feared and faced.

These tales live on to this day in the land of Hæth, but they are not mine to tell. More importantly, there are some facts you'll need to know about the Hæthland for your own journeys. And this may be the most important part of it all.

The Hæth is a beautiful and boundless land, full of life and soul. It is composed of small communities separated by vast stretches of wilderness, and these communities are connected by dirt paths, waterways, and the rare hot air balloon passage. Beauty lives in endless shapes and forms in the Hæth: everything in this land holds the capacity to be appreciated and admired. Gods and spirits can be found everywhere, from the small, forgotten gods hidden behind rocks and waves, to the fish-headed crossroads daemons and even the great sky gods themselves.

The Hæth is a land of animal-folk. I've seen pigeon merchants, squirrel musicians, gecko fishermen, and at least one very distinctive bartending toad. In the Hæth, you can't assume much about someone based on their look. Both meat-eaters and herbivores are likely considerate and kind, and even the smallest mouse can have a lion's heart. The families of the Hæth may look fairly similar to one another, or they may look wildly different (and it's frankly none of your business to inquire where familial lines end and begin).

The Hæth is full of buggy livestock, pets, and wild creatures. From herds of chubby bumbles to stag beetles the size of houses, from the striders dancing across water to moon-lit carrier moths carrying letters from tower to tower, bugs and animal-folk live together in harmony. You'll encounter plenty of these buggy creatures throughout the Hæth, and while they tend to do their best to make clear both their look and role in Hæth, interpret generously and use your imagination to fill in the gaps.

The Hæth boasts a widespread culture of hospitality. A traveler who arrives in a new town will always be able to find some sort of lodging (even if it's sleeping in a barn with some bumbles) and will always be given food and water of some sort. There is, however, a trust within this hospitality — if you hurt or lash out at your hosts, they'll have no problems kicking you out. But if you're kind and mean well, you'll be welcomed with open arms.

In the Hæth, we'll be meeting people who are fundamentally good. This will not be true of all the places you go in your life, but on the journey contained within this book, nearly everyone can be trusted to be kind. The exceptions are the mighty — generals, lords, heroes, soldiers, and all those whose souls have become weighed down by power. While they may still be good, that goodness has likely been poisoned by struggle. Thankfully, folks of this nature are exceedingly rare nowadays, and most everyone knows to give these lonely conquerors a wide berth.

The Hæthland was recently caught in war, but is no longer. There is no violence here anymore.

Character Sheet

You're free to customize your character sheets as you see fit! The sheet provided is the minimum amount of information you'll need to include, full stop (such as playbook information). That said, you can arrange it in whatever order feels best, add whatever additional categories you want to include, & pretty it up with as much or as little coding as you please~

If you need a visual example, check this post in the extras thread!

Code:
    [b]Name:[/b]
    [b]Age:[/b]
    [b]Pronouns:[/b]
    [b]Species:[/b]
    [b]Playbook:[/b]

[ Insert your "2 Things" pick-list choices here, in the form of your playbook's wording. Example: "You are [trait] & [trait], and you wish you were better at being [trait] & [trait.]" ]

[b]Describe your look:[/b]

[ Insert your playbook specific choices for the first pick-list. ]

[ Insert your playbook specific choices for the second pick-list. ]

[b]Some things you can always do:[/b]
    [ copy & paste the list from your chosen playbook. ]

[b]During each seasonal holiday, you can choose 1 you haven't chosen before:[/b]
    [ copy & paste the list from your chosen playbook. ]

Check out the Extras Thread if you wanna brainstorm with other players, check NPC profiles and location writeups, or need a refresher on some of the mechanics.

Last edited:
Question: Would you want a more pastoral and upbeat journey, or a world that lingers more heavily on trauma and recovery?

Answer: More pastoral and upbeat. The charming setting — animal-folk, mushroom forests, moth mail carriers, etcetera — was the biggest factor that hooked me, and I'd prefer that storybook tone and aesthetic be preserved as much as possible. That's not to say that I'm wanting the roleplay to be free of conflict or tension. On the contrary, I would welcome a generous serving of suspense, mystery, and "pickles" for our characters.

Question: Do you want a more personal journey, focused on mundane issues and quandaries, or do you want a more tangled journey filled with mysterious and magical forces?

Answer: Mystery is always fun. Magic might also be a nice addition, if applied judiciously. I plan on providing a personal journey for my character — I always do — so that'll be covered.

Question: What kind of characters do you usually enjoy playing, or find interesting to explore? If you have a variety of archetypes you enjoy playing, what's your least and most played type(s)?

Answer: I play a fairly wide range. Least played: mundane slice of life characters. Most played: probably cold, calculating villains.

Question: What are any hard limits you might have, regarding plot topics, tropes, genres, storylines, etc? (This could be anything from love at first sight, kidnapping, or specific character dynamics; whether it squicks you out, is a trigger, or you just don't care for it, it should be listed here.)

Answer: Expected player-character on player-character romances aren't my cup of tea. Nothing else comes to mind.

Question: On the flip side, what are some subjects, tropes, genres, or character dynamics that you absolutely can't get enough?

Answer: World exploration — huge fan of that. In terms of genres I love, that would include court/political intrigue, magical/occult investigation, cyberpunk capers, gritty military campaigns, as well as a slew of other things.

• Love
Reactions: tapedeck
Question: Would you want a more pastoral and upbeat journey, or a world that lingers more heavily on trauma and recovery?

Answer: More pastoral and upbeat. The charming setting — animal-folk, mushroom forests, moth mail carriers, etcetera — was the biggest factor that hooked me, and I'd prefer that storybook tone and aesthetic be preserved as much as possible. That's not to say that I'm wanting the roleplay to be free of conflict or tension. On the contrary, I would welcome a generous serving of suspense, mystery, and "pickles" for our characters.

Question: Do you want a more personal journey, focused on mundane issues and quandaries, or do you want a more tangled journey filled with mysterious and magical forces?

Answer: Mystery is always fun. Magic might also be a nice addition, if applied judiciously. I plan on providing a personal journey for my character — I always do — so that'll be covered.

Question: What kind of characters do you usually enjoy playing, or find interesting to explore? If you have a variety of archetypes you enjoy playing, what's your least and most played type(s)?

Answer: I play a fairly wide range. Least played: mundane slice of life characters. Most played: probably cold, calculating villains.

Question: What are any hard limits you might have, regarding plot topics, tropes, genres, storylines, etc? (This could be anything from love at first sight, kidnapping, or specific character dynamics; whether it squicks you out, is a trigger, or you just don't care for it, it should be listed here.)

Answer: Expected player-character on player-character romances aren't my cup of tea. Nothing else comes to mind.

Question: On the flip side, what are some subjects, tropes, genres, or character dynamics that you absolutely can't get enough?

Answer: World exploration — huge fan of that. In terms of genres I love, that would include court/political intrigue, magical/occult investigation, cyberpunk capers, gritty military campaigns, as well as a slew of other things.

hoHO, all of that's very doable! i was thinking of using Tolkien as a rough baseline for tone, in terms of the journey itself & settlements, so keeping everything within that storybook-feel realm is Exactly what i'm gunning for. similar with magic, i want it to feel special; something that's been hiding from plain view for a very long time, but has always been around.

interesting note about the characters you usually play ;0 that's already got some ideas for playbooks you might like, if you wanna go for a reformed villain concept. maybe someone who's learning from their past, etc. that said, tis just a suggestion! i don't wanna push you in any one direction unless you want to head that way :]

romance is any kind is gonna be strictly optional & opt-in for both parties, so no need to worry on that front~
but ooo, political intrigue is definitely something we could play with! i imagine there's plenty of nobility in the far flung reaches of the Haeth. having a tangled web of upper crusts sounds fun~ similar with magical/occult investigation stuff; ties hand-in-hand (or maybe, paw-in-paw?) with magic most likely being something you're not gonna see every day.

• Love
Reactions: Bone2pick
Here's a possible character concept. Let me know if it's workable.

Wandering writer. Specifically someone putting together a battlefield compendium detailing the many locations where the old war (name?) was fought, as well as noting any nearby villages, eateries, and accommodations.

My character's father (deceased) was a natural philosopher of some renown who released several scholarly works in the fields of biology and zoology.

Likely critter type: toad

• Would you want a more pastoral and upbeat journey, or a world that lingers more heavily on trauma and recovery?
    • I prefer pastoral and upbeat but I wouldn't object to the trauma and recovery that balances good times.
  • Do you want a more personal journey, focused on mundane issues and quandaries, or do you want a more tangled journey filled with mysterious and magical forces?
    • I am fine with either, really. The first is a world to relax in and absorb and the second is one with lots of unanswered questions to ponder or shiny things to collect
  • What kind of characters do you usually enjoy playing, or find interesting to explore?
    • I play a lot of weird critters, monsters, and creatures that take explaining. I like building structures for odd characters to implement and explore their nature when writing for things
  • If you have a variety of archetypes you enjoy playing, what's your least and most played type(s)?
    • My least played type is the eponymous horny bard or really the overly charismatic sorts. Even if I reference such shenanigans it'll just be a fade to black for meaty parts of the narrative. My most played type is the the curious outsider or incorrigible helper
  • What are any hard limits you might have, regarding plot topics, tropes, genres, storylines, etc? (This could be anything from love at first sight, kidnapping, or specific character dynamics; whether it squicks you out, is a trigger, or you just don't care for it, it should be listed here.)
    • I'm not terribly particular but I'm not good at writing romance and don't terribly enjoy writing it in detail.
  • On the flip side, what are some subjects, tropes, genres, or character dynamics that you absolutely can't get enough & would want to include?
    • odd machines and their technical tidbits, road trip/placid exploration, places with nebulous volumes like moria or the seas of subnautica.

And in related to the answers my current thought on character concept after looking through the playkit is an house wren ragamuffin orphaned for some reason and traveling with a tiny house attached to the back of a domesticated jumping spider, one of few remaining 'house dragons'. haven't really gotten to what they'd look like.

Here's a possible character concept. Let me know if it's workable.

Wandering writer. Specifically someone putting together a battlefield compendium detailing the many locations where the old war (name?) was fought, as well as noting any nearby villages, eateries, and accommodations.

My character's father (deceased) was a natural philosopher of some renown who released several scholarly works in the fields of biology and zoology.

Likely critter type: toad

Ooo, i like it !! i can already see two playbooks that would really fit for this, either the base game's Poet, or a guest playbook, Historian. (Funnily enough, the poet is actually represented by a toad lol) i'll be shooting you & littlekreen a shared DM for the playbooks so ya'll can look 'em over~

• Would you want a more pastoral and upbeat journey, or a world that lingers more heavily on trauma and recovery?
    • I prefer pastoral and upbeat but I wouldn't object to the trauma and recovery that balances good times.
  • Do you want a more personal journey, focused on mundane issues and quandaries, or do you want a more tangled journey filled with mysterious and magical forces?
    • I am fine with either, really. The first is a world to relax in and absorb and the second is one with lots of unanswered questions to ponder or shiny things to collect
  • What kind of characters do you usually enjoy playing, or find interesting to explore?
    • I play a lot of weird critters, monsters, and creatures that take explaining. I like building structures for odd characters to implement and explore their nature when writing for things
  • If you have a variety of archetypes you enjoy playing, what's your least and most played type(s)?
    • My least played type is the eponymous horny bard or really the overly charismatic sorts. Even if I reference such shenanigans it'll just be a fade to black for meaty parts of the narrative. My most played type is the the curious outsider or incorrigible helper
  • What are any hard limits you might have, regarding plot topics, tropes, genres, storylines, etc? (This could be anything from love at first sight, kidnapping, or specific character dynamics; whether it squicks you out, is a trigger, or you just don't care for it, it should be listed here.)
    • I'm not terribly particular but I'm not good at writing romance and don't terribly enjoy writing it in detail.
  • On the flip side, what are some subjects, tropes, genres, or character dynamics that you absolutely can't get enough & would want to include?
    • odd machines and their technical tidbits, road trip/placid exploration, places with nebulous volumes like moria or the seas of subnautica.

And in related to the answers my current thought on character concept after looking through the playkit is an house wren ragamuffin orphaned for some reason and traveling with a tiny house attached to the back of a domesticated jumping spider, one of few remaining 'house dragons'. haven't really gotten to what they'd look like.

first off, i already Love this concept. that's so cute & tragic, i adore them !! i'll have to have a look in the rulebook for house dragons, as that's not a concept i've read too much about :O
also no worries about romance; like i said in a previous post, that'll always be opt-in & entirely optional ^v^ overall tho, you seem like a great fit for what we're already building on~ welcome aboard!

The house dragon reference mostly glues together references from two options for the character to call it something so I quoted it, heh. house wrens use spider eggs in their nests to kill mites/pests. which is where I got the idea from. One option calls out a specific kind of rare mantis and the other is having a dragon egg. so it's rare bug that's moving their camper around instead of a particular species of mantis. A group of nomadic house wrens getting shot on sight by an army, because of the spiders, sounds like something that would create a proto-vagabond, or the ragamuffin, heh.

• What a TWIST
The house dragon reference mostly glues together references from two options for the character to call it something so I quoted it, heh. house wrens use spider eggs in their nests to kill mites/pests. which is where I got the idea from. One option calls out a specific kind of rare mantis and the other is having a dragon egg. so it's rare bug that's moving their camper around instead of a particular species of mantis. A group of nomadic house wrens getting shot on sight by an army, because of the spiders, sounds like something that would create a proto-vagabond, or the ragamuffin, heh.

OH i love that !! i didn't know that about wrens, so that's really cool :0 either way, i feel like that'll be a really fun concept to run with. maybe the family was killed by an army that couldn't let go of the war? a group that was clinging to violence as a means to cope.

also! the character sheet & example is up and ready ;D
@Bone2pick

i'll be out for most this weekend, so i'll not be able to get any of my own concepts out until Way later. but ya'll are free to brainstorm any other ideas you might have, and post wips of your sheets~

Name: Husun
Pronouns: He/him
Species: A young animal - house wren
Playbook: Playkit - Raggamuffin

You are smart and scared and refuse to be quiet or respectful.

Describe your look: Stuffed animal (spider), Awkwardly-sized cloak, Wooden sword, Grass-stained jeans.

Life taught you the world is bigger than you can wrap your head around and authority figures are not to be trusted.

You carry openly a jumping spider, 'Miss Webbins' with house on its back [originally young paradise mantis], the last of its kind. A Mighty creature that can always take on the heavy burden with a Witchy knowing cackle mixing assorted components into something new.

Secretly, you carry the capacity to see brief snippets of the future.

Husun's people are from distant if craggy montane grasslands which is where he grew up among insular nomads with a particular mystique by their friends of burden. Without a kingdom they had little army of their own but were known for assisting merchants in need and directing travelers passing through the passes of their hazardous home. This from the backs of their 'House Dragons' of jumping spiders holding a home for a family on their back. A memorable sight for the minds and lives of those they touched. War, however, spared no one its touch. Those same trecherous passes allowing traders to pass were the same ones used by soldiers and warriors to siege each other. While Husun was very young in those turbulent times he wasn't allowed to venture far from the nomadic cluster lest they had to flee. They could fend off the occasional neer-do-well but one fateful day an army came upon the cluster in a mountain meadow and took umbrage with their existence whether from fear or malice, Husun was never sure. He only saw in his dreams of the nomad's end and woke that day screaming as his parents went to look for sounds of the same outside camp. He watched as the dire sense of familiarity came to events around him and begged their house dragon, which he only knew as Miss Webbins at that age, to run away. The spider regarded its kinfolk as nomads tried to quell their nervousness and on her back, holding the small stuffed animal, husun was carried away where the oncoming screams couldn't find him. He was spared a view of their end, or of their salvation, as he was never sure which thread was real.

Miss Webbins has carried his family's house on her back since then and they help keep each other safe. As she fled to deeper impassible forests where armies cared not to follow Husun has led a quiet life until finding out the war had finally ended. A passing myth reborn into tall tales around the remote locale as traders find the little nomad moving down quiet country roads. Whittling yet another sword or using Miss Webbins' silk to repair his home. Sometimes just exploring a small town or meeting other children while the locals see a ghost story brought to life of a faint and witchy-looking house seemingly running something down in the forest. Miss Webbins' hunts her next meal as they imagine some Yaga monster. Husun would tell them it's just Miss Webbins, but he knows better now than to trust adult outsiders too much. He thinks a lot about going home to see if there is anyone left but the fear going there alone keeps him away.

Some things you can always do:
• Get distracted.
• Get really invested in a new interest.
• Blurt out a secret.
• Somehow manage to squeeze yourself out of trouble.
• Ask: "Do you wanna hang out with me?" They get a token if they say yes.
• Ask: "Do you wanna see something really cool?" They get a token if they say yes.

During each seasonal holiday, you can choose 1 you haven't chosen before:
• Learn a new lesson, or reject a lesson you've previously learned.
• Decide you're something no one thought you were.
• Refuse to still be something you considered yourself.
• Get a token whenever you learn something new.
• Spend a token to ask: "Why can't things be different?"
• You can always ask: "How did you do that?"
• You can always provide a new perspective.
• You have grown up, and come into your own. Choose an unused playbook, and transfer as much as makes sense from this playbook to that one.

Last edited:
  • Love
Ooo, i like it !! i can already see two playbooks that would really fit for this, either the base game's Poet, or a guest playbook, Historian. (Funnily enough, the poet is actually represented by a toad lol) i'll be shooting you & littlekreen a shared DM for the playbooks so ya'll can look 'em over~
Poet looks like the right fit. I may take a few days, or possibly a week, to finish my character sheet and playbook. I'd like include a shortish backstory.

Poet looks like the right fit. I may take a few days, or possibly a week, to finish my character sheet and playbook. I'd like include a shortish backstory.

nicee, lookin' forward to seeing it! i've got my own sheet in the works as well; struggled to pick a playbook, but i eventually went with Guardian to round out the current party we've got ;D i'll most likely take about that long for me to finish, too lol

STEVENS KULLAK

MID 40s

GENDERQUEER
THEY / SHE
SIBERIAN LYNX
The Guardian

You are generally Openhearted & Level-Headed. People assume you are always Mothering & Correct.

You carry with you a Fishing Kit, a well-loved set of Pots & Pans, and a Shield Almost As Big As You. You walk with a Sturdy Cane.​

74374102_nMeU1EfxmmSxEhU.png
Stevens is a very stern looking soul; always watchful of the world around her, with narrowed eyes behind a pair of reading glasses. Imposing only to those who do not know them, they have a heart far too big for their own chest and a stunning lack of fear. Not much can shake her.

They tower over most other kith, dwarfed only by the likes of bears or horses, with birch-bark tan fur and toasty brown markings. Stevens usually wears very practical, outdoorsy outfits, but is never seen without her backpack of fishing and cooking gear. Her walking cane is a dark, gnarled wood, and oddly intricate for Stevens' sense of style.

Despite their usual dour expression, Stevens loves a good joke; especially groan inducing Dad Jokes and various types of puns. Granted, they rarely crack a smile when they are being humorous. She's kind of bad at being friendly though, typically a bit too standoffish to openly conversate with others she's unfamiliar with.

With an incredible knack for survivalist living, Stevens tries their best to stay organized — at least for Kite's sake. She uses her skills as a former mercenary-knight to care for him, and the others around her; providing shelter, food, and a literal shield when it's necessary.

Hold your ward close to your heart.

Someday the world will hurt them, but this will not be that day.

You are alive. Your care is parental, protective, and unconditional.
PLAYBOOK

You have a ward, a child who you watch over. He is a fuzzy little dragon named Kite, though you hide his fantastical origin for the good of his safety. To overly curious strangers, he is a stoat, weasel, or similar mustelidae, or sometimes a wolf. You rescued him from a cruel situation. He is quiet; once burned, twice shy. A good kid and a goofball, he has a million little eccentricities. You'd die to defend his imaginative nature.

Kite carries with him a stuffed animal that he'll never let go of, gifted to him by a cheerful shopkeep, as well as a poncho the color of shadows, gifted by a crafty vagabond who you assumed was untrustworthy.

Some things you can always do...
🙑 Sigh and shake your head.
🙑 Keep both eyes on someone.
🙑 Derive a practical lesson from a situation.
🙑 Tell a story that makes someone embarrassed.
🙑 Ask: "Where do you think you're going?"
🙑 Ask: "Where is my ward?" Whoever answers gets a token if they help you find your ward.​

Some things your ward can do...
🙦 Stare at someone until they get the point.
🙦 Non-verbally ask: "Are you okay?"
🙦 Describe an everyday object in a way no one's ever thought about it before.
🙦 Forget about something really important.​

During each seasonal holiday, you can choose one option that you haven't chosen before.
Ѻ Teach your ward a new thing they can do from any playbook.
Ѻ Teach your ward another new thing they can do from any playbook.
Ѻ Teach your ward a third new thing they can do from any playbook.
Ѻ Become something you previously said you were not.
Ѻ Get a token whenever you follow your ward's advice, even when it's terrible advice.
Ѻ Get a token whenever you sit back and let your ward handle a problem.
Ѻ You can always ask: "Can you give me a hand with this?"
Ѻ Take an unused playbook and add as much as you want from that playbook to yours.
Ѻ You retire from wandering and your ward ventures forth as their own person. Pick up a playbook and create your ward in that playbook.
BACKGROUND

"I will never be anyone's sword, ever again."
frostbite.png
Stevens was drenched in conflict and bloodshed from a very early age. Born in a land far from the Haeth, with fields that ran red, her only path was to be a blade. To be wielded by a king or lord, it mattered not; her arc swung toward cleaving the life from other creatures at the bidding of another on a battlefield.

She hired herself out, from time to time. Commoners, other nobility, business owners: Anyone who could put food in her mouth was good enough. The jobs were a little more varied, here. "Bring me this." "Kill this one." "Rob this place."

It wasn't until she was paid to rob from an "exotics" collector, that she saw any other route for her life. Stevens was simply instructed to steal some documents. Important papers about something-er-other that she wasn't concerned with. She was able to get into her target's lavishly cruel mansion, only to stop dead in her tracks when she came across her her now-ward. He was nought but another an item in this menagerie, kept in a tiny cage like all the other strange and rare wildlife.

Suffice to say, those cages did not stay closed for much longer. Bugs of all sorts were freed, alongside the odd-creature-out. He clung to her, and Stevens didn't have much other choice than to take him with her as she fled the mansion and her homeland.

Steven's blade still sits hilted in the chest of the one who owned the menagerie; It's final resting place.

TRIVIA

• Voiceclaim; name, as character from thing.
• Stevens' shield is something she found after rescuing Kite; an item from an abandoned battlefield that she passed through when first entering the Haeth. The space had gained new life... just like her.
codes by MaryGold

Last edited:
  • Love
while their design isn't final (and i also want to draw up a little reference image for her ward) my Guardian is pretty much done (sans some trivia) !! i don't usually take on parental-type characters, but i've had Stevens' concept floating around for a while & wanted to give her a chance to shine~

and, while i'm here...

Name: Husun
Pronouns: He/him
Species: A young animal - house wren
Playbook: Playkit - Raggamuffin

You are smart and scared and refuse to be quiet or respectful.

Describe your look: Stuffed animal (spider), Awkwardly-sized cloak, Wooden sword, Grass-stained jeans.

Life taught you the world is bigger than you can wrap your head around and authority figures are not to be trusted.

You carry openly a young paradise mantis (jumping spider with house), the last of its kind. Secretly, you carry the capacity to see brief snippets of the future.

Some things you can always do:
• Get distracted.
• Get really invested in a new interest.
• Blurt out a secret.
• Somehow manage to squeeze yourself out of trouble.
• Ask: "Do you wanna hang out with me?" They get a token if they say yes.
• Ask: "Do you wanna see something really cool?" They get a token if they say yes.

During each seasonal holiday, you can choose 1 you haven't chosen before:
• Decide you're something no one thought you were.
• Refuse to still be something you considered yourself.
• Get a token whenever you learn something new.
• Spend a token to ask: "Why can't things be different?"
• You can always ask: "How did you do that?"
• You can always provide a new perspective.
• You have grown up, and come into your own. Choose an unused playbook, and transfer as much as makes sense from this playbook to that one.

i love this lil' guy :D he's one of the reasons i decided to go with the Guardian, along with Bone's Poet concept, since i feel like he'll be really fun to bounce off. i'm more than excited to see how his future-seeing thing is gonna play out, as well!

It ought to be interesting, heh. I'll have to figure out how to frame it like at times having it come out as having a subtle difficulty nailing down which present is the current one or such. I'll fill out the sheet a bit when I can with more background.

Last edited:
Name: Burble MacBufo
Pronouns: he/him
Animal: toad
Playbook: Poet

Describe your look: With the exception of his strikingly pale underbelly, Burble's skin is a bumpy mottle of browns, grays, and dark greens. His legs are long and powerful, so much so they dwarf his arms. His belly is swollen, as a healthy toads' should be. And Burble's eyes, set inside coppery eyelids, are liquid black.

In respect to attire, he prefers off-white linen shirts to wear underneath his luxurious hunter green cape which drags the ground. The cape's lining is scarlet red; and Burble, to emphasize the lining's effect, sports a matching red top hat.

Choose two characteristics people attribute to you based on your writing: (1) Pomposity (2) Meticulosity

Choose two you actually have: (1) Geniality (2) Scatterbrained

• Choose what you're writing about: A compendium covering the many battlegrounds of the Rebellion.

• Choose what is metaphorically intertwined in your writing: Our longing to understand and connect with our ancestors.

• Choose what has unintentionally crept into your writing: The spiritual benefit of traveling and meeting people.

• Choose a book you read constantly: We Must See It Through, the memoirs of Captain Wuvras, veteran of the Rebellion.

• Choose one you have memorized: Living Candles (described in backstory)

Burble hails from Mosscroft, a medium-sized town which straddles Snickering Creek. His late father Boncrit MacBufo was a Natural Philosopher and writer of minor renown. His father's most acclaimed works include: Slime Trails (a text on snails and slugs); On Iridescent Wings (a text on dragonflies); and most notably, Living Candles (a book on bioluminescent flora and fauna).

Burble never acquired the same level of interest for Natural philosophy that his father had had, but both toads shared a passion for writing.

Burble became the youngest resident of Mosscroft to take over its local monthly newssheet, the Creek Report. He cut his teeth on that newssheet, honed various social skills, and learned more than a few life lessons.

The Creek Report was a channel for getting Burble's voice out to the public, but it was admittedly a limited one. He eventually outgrew it. In order to consider himself a proper writer, Burble knew he would have to write and release a book; so that is what he set out to do.

The book's subject matter: a battlefield compendium of the Rebellion — extensive travel would be required. Burble would need to see each battlefield with his own eyes. Walk their unique contours with his springy toad legs. Smell their lush grasses and listen closely for any whispers or insight from those no longer with us.

He had faith that his finished product would delight his readers. But even if it failed to do so, he knew to a certainty the journey he would undertake would never be forgotten.

• Love
Name: Burble MacBufo
Pronouns: he/him
Animal: toad
Playbook: Poet

Describe your look: With the exception of his strikingly pale underbelly, Burble's skin is a bumpy mottle of browns, grays, and dark greens. His legs are long and powerful, so much so they dwarf his arms. His belly is swollen, as a healthy toads' should be. And Burble's eyes, set inside coppery eyelids, are liquid black.

In respect to attire, he prefers off-white linen shirts to wear underneath his luxurious hunter green cape which drags the ground. The cape's lining is scarlet red; and Burble, to emphasize the lining's effect, sports a matching red top hat.

Choose two characteristics people attribute to you based on your writing: (1) Pomposity (2) Meticulosity

Choose two you actually have: (1) Geniality (2) Scatterbrained

• Choose what you're writing about: A compendium covering the many battlegrounds of the Rebellion.

• Choose what is metaphorically intertwined in your writing: Our longing to understand and connect with our ancestors.

• Choose what has unintentionally crept into your writing: The spiritual benefit of traveling and meeting people.

• Choose a book you read constantly: We Must See It Through, the memoirs of Captain Wuvras, veteran of the Rebellion.

• Choose one you have memorized: Living Candles (described in backstory)

Burble hails from Mosscroft, a medium-sized town which straddles Snickering Creek. His late father Boncrit MacBufo was a Natural Philosopher and writer of minor renown. His father's most acclaimed works include: Slime Trails (a text on snails and slugs); On Iridescent Wings (a text on dragonflies); and most notably, Living Candles (a book on bioluminescent flora and fauna).

Burble never acquired the same level of interest for Natural philosophy that his father had had, but both toads shared a passion for writing.

Burble became the youngest resident of Mosscroft to take over its local monthly newssheet, the Creek Report. He cut his teeth on that newssheet, honed various social skills, and learned more than a few life lessons.

The Creek Report was a channel for getting Burble's voice out to the public, but it was admittedly a limited one. He eventually outgrew it. In order to consider himself a proper writer, Burble knew he would have to write and release a book; so that is what he set out to do.

The book's subject matter: a battlefield compendium of the Rebellion — extensive travel would be required. Burble would need to see each battlefield with his own eyes. Walk their unique contours with his springy toad legs. Smell their lush grasses and listen closely for any whispers or insight from those no longer with us.

He had faith that his finished product would delight his readers. But even if it failed to do so, he knew to a certainty the journey he would undertake would never be forgotten.

i physically had to take a moment because i love the name "Burble MacBufo" so much. i cannot begin to describe the levels of joy simply reading this characters name has brought me :3 also the whimsy is off the Charts in regards to his appearance !! he's a toad in a cape & fancy red tophat. i was already gonna be drawing our motley crew at some point, but now i Have to. that is a promise >:]

his journey & backstory are so perfect, too. the fact that he's memorized one of his dad's books.... :'] i'm super interested to see how he's gonna interact with our current party!

• Love