The Ties That Bind

Maxim wasn't sure what she meant, for a moment, but as he followed her through the small opening into the building he was sure he understood. The building itself had the scent of habitation to it, of the scent of bodies, dirt and grime, as places that were occupied by squatters generally did. The disrepair of the building and the fact that it was inhabited regardless spoke to the desperation of the people inside. Whether they were physically or mentally ill, a victim of some sort, or simply having a string of bad luck, he couldn't help but feel compassion for them. Only practically, wariness, and a heavy dose of cynicism kept him from believing he had the means to take them all in.

You can't save everyone. It was a sad but inevitable truth.

Outwardly, the wolf was a little quieter than normal but largely unchanged, his expression gone carefully neutral as he observed the space around them. The wary part of him was ready to leap to Madeline's defense when a man approached - a wolf, no less - but it was clear that he meant her no harm. He knew her, it seemed. His distaste towards Maxim, then, was understandable and hardly bothered him.

"Her ride." Maxim answered, with a faint note of humor in his voice but with a serious face. He nodded to the man in way of greeting, with a slight, brief forward dip of his shoulders as if to lower his head to the man. Confident in himself and not prone to shows of ego, he was not someone that felt the need to posture and intimidate when there was no need for it. "Maxim Orwell. Nice to meet you."

He still seemed wary of him, but slightly more relaxed at his respectful greeting. He studied him for a moment, then turned to Madeline, looking at her curiously with a raised eyebrow, "He's not like the others." "What's going on?"

She shrugged a little, "it's complicated doc, I'm just here to grab some stuff from upstairs." He stared at her for a moment, his gaze sympathetic. "You in trouble?"

He asked but they both knew it wasn't really a question, she smiled the same way he did earlier, "aren't I always?"

A small half smile appeared on his lips but it was a little sad, as he nodded a little. He turned back to face Maxim, appraising him for a moment, then held out his hand.

"Jackson." He offered his surname only, still reluctant to share much. "Yer an alpha ain't ya?" Again it wasn't really a question, he seemed to just know, perhaps because he was once one himself.

She kept calling him Doc. Maxim had to wonder if it was just an affectionate nickname, or if the man had once been a doctor. Perhaps he'd patched Madeline up some time when she was hurt and that was why they seemed so familiar with each other. Having allies when living a difficult life was instrumental for survival, Maxim knew, and not everyone was out for only themselves.

When the man held out his hand Maxim accepted without hesitation, giving a firm but not overly tight shake and simply nodding to the man's question. There was little use denying it, though he thought it might sound strange to any human ears that might be listening. "Yes, sir. I've been told I don't hide it well," he said with a faint smile pulling at the corner of his mouth, glancing at Madeline as if to see if she would laugh at him since she was the one to say it.

After a pause he gave in to impulse and took out his wallet, pulling out a simple card with his name and contact information on it and no other symbols or emblems. "If you encounter any trouble around here, feel free to get in contact." It wasn't often that he was in a position to reach out to solitary wolves, or those living without any support system themselves. If there was anything he could do in his authority as alpha or as a special agent, it was not an empty gesture.

She caught Maxims glance, giving him a little smirk and an I told you so look of amusement. Her expression grew solemn as he offered doc his card, though she appreciated and was touched by his offer, she knew doc wouldn't take him up on it.

Since doc was keeping him busy and she didn't have to keep an eye on him, she wandered off a little, out of earshot but still visible, looking for a way up.

He glanced at Maxims card without much interest, but he did politely slip it into his pocket. "Trouble is everywhere son, but I'll keep you in mind."

He nodded towards Madeline, "you're obviously not one of Farkas's scumbags, and you don't strike me as another gang leader, so what are you really doing with her?" There was a slight protectiveness to his tone, as well some suspicion.

It was clear enough to Maxim when someone was taking his card simply to get him to stop asking, but he accepted it with grace. If Jackson didn't want to call him, that was fine, but now he had the number, as well as an email for things that were less urgent. Maxim could only tip his head in a silent gesture of agreement at the idea that trouble was always around. Perhaps he should have specified that 'trouble' could include law enforcement, but it wasn't something he went around broadcasting very loudly.

Half his attention followed Madeline's about the space around them, but the rest was left for Jackson, as a sign of respect to the man but also a natural wariness of anyone that had not been deemed fully trustworthy, should any interaction take a turn for the worst. "We're here to gather her things," he said simply, watching carefully to see what the man's reaction would be. "She's going to be staying with me for a while."

He said it mildly, with no threat involved and no true concern showing through. For all Jackson knew, she was only taking refuge with him for a time. If he had to press and reveal his involvement with the authorities to make the other wolf back off he would, but a certain air of secrecy wasn't unusual between two perfect strangers. Whether Jackson would find it odd for a wolf to bring in a shifter that wasn't, that was likely a matter of upbringing and environment. Maxim already had a human amongst his ranks. What was one more non-wolf?

He silently pondered this for a while, studying Maxims face whilst he did so. He clearly wanted to ask more questions, but he seemed to realise he wouldn't get many answers.

Perhaps he even realised that more questions could be dangerous, he glanced at Madeline again. She didn't seem uncomfortable around Maxim, so he guessed she was alright.

Turning back to Maxim, he looked at him seriously. "I hope you know what your duty as an alpha is son, don't screw her over, she doesn't deserve all the shit she's been through."

Madeline turned back to look at them, "I found a way up." She called over, raising her eyebrow in a questioning look, silently looking for his approval before she took off, since she knew he'd freak otherwise.

Maxim had allowed himself to look over at what Madeline was doing for a moment, but when Jackson spoke again with a tone that carried more meaning the alpha's attention returned. He listened with an open mind, as he always did his best to, and for just a bea let the warning of sorts sink in.

Finally, he gave a small nod and lifted his chin just a fraction, a serious determination in his eyes. "I know my duties." He said, a promise as much as a reassurance, in just a few words. He may not be as old as the other wolf, but he knew how to protect what was his, and how quickly things could fall apart. He was ready, and he had the resources to levy behind him.

When Madeline called to him, Maxim ended their staredown and stepped in her direction automatically, though he moved slowly in case she called him off. "Can I lend a hand, or will I be in your way?" If she needed help getting some height, he would let her stand on his shoulders.

He met his gaze unflinchingly, studying his eyes for a moment. What he saw must have satisfied him at least a little, as he sighed softly and nodded slightly. "Good, I hope so, for your sake."

She shook her head a little at Maxims question, "no I'm fine, just wait there, i won't be long." Turning away from him, she studied the wall for a moment, then began to walk backwards.

Once she was a good distance away, she stretched for a moment, then ran quickly at the wall, jumping and grabbing hold of a high up, half rotted beam. She moved confidently and with grace, like a gymnast or parkour expert.

From there she made her way up like a rock climber, finding nooks and crannies to pull herself up, being careful to maintain her footing and not put her weight on anything too weak.

As she disappeared from sight, Jackson watched her go with a fond smile. "Wish I could do that."

Maxim held up his hands briefly, showing that he wouldn't interfere, but did watch with some curiosity. The retreat from the wall made it rather obvious she was about to make a running leap, but what her goal was remained a mystery until she actually did it. The climb was quite impressive, he had to admit, and Jackson's comment did at least pull a small, amused smile from him.

"Pretty sure I'd've gone through the wall," he murmured back, stepping a bit closer to where Madeline had gone up on the off chance something gave way under her hands and she needed someone to break her fall. When she was gone, there wasn't much he could do but listen to be sure she didn't hurt herself. While he was athletic enough in his own right and wasn't above climbing more stable structures, she was lighter and more agile - he was sure if he had attempted the same handhold the beam would have cracked beneath his weight.

She managed to find a small hole in the attic floor, which was big enough for her to pull herself up through. She carefully made her way into the corner, the floor creaking under her feet.

Reaching up into the roof beams, she pulled out a large hiking backpack, that was wrapped with a tarp to keep it dry. She unwrapped it, setting the tarp aside.

Everything was as it should be, she slipped the backpack on. It was heavy and she'd have to be careful climbing down, but she could manage.

Jackson smiled a little in amusement, "yes, I'd have fallen on my face." "She does have a bit of an unfair advantage though."

He watched Maxim thoughtfully for a moment, stepping close to him so he could speak to him without being overheard.

His expression was solemn, "I'd watch yourself leaving this place."

Maxim wasn't sure that 'unfair' was the correct word, given he had advantages she didn't, but didn't say so. He was sure their differing skills evened out somewhat.

"Is that so?" He asked with only a faint amusement his face, voice kept as low as Jackson's but pitched in curious, unconcerned tones for any who might be within earshot of the timber of it, though not the individual words. His eyes stayed largely on the space Madeline had disappeared into, as if he didn't feel he needed to pay attention to his surroundings. "Think someone's waiting for us?"

It was possible someone in the building would try to ambush them, or that someone had seen them go in and pegged them as not someone that lived in the area. He would keep his guard up, regardless, but if Jackson had seen or knew anything specific he wouldn't say no to the intel.

A brief look of admiration crossed his face, as he found himself impressed by Maxims quick thinking and easy confidence in subterfuge.

He did his best to match it as he continued, "I'd say it's possible, I've noticed that unfortunately someone seems to have slipped out."

"Words out about Maddie, Farkas is offering a sizeable reward for her or any information on her." He looked grim, "There's a lot of desperate people around here, they won't hesitate."

Madim made a soft, unconcerned little hum, as if only thinking about what Jackson had said. If he were to look around again he was sure he would be able to remember where a person had once been and no longer was, but he didn't want to tip anyone off that he knew. He would have to be careful as they exited the building. Perhaps there was another way out.

"I appreciate the tip." He said, though there was more he wanted to say in order to thank the man for his warnings. "I'll have to keep it in mind." Things were going to be precarious for a while. He was going to have to consider the idea of keeping her much more hidden than he had thought at first.

He was about to say more, when Madeline suddenly called out. "Heads up!" There was a loud thud and a shower of dust as her backpack slammed into the ground.

She leapt down a few moments after it, landing gracefully. Jackson coughed and waved a hand in front of his face, somewhat dramatically. "Was that really nessacary?"

She smiled a little and shrugged apologetically, "sorry but its weight would've broken my footholds." "I made sure no-one was in the way." She bent down to pick it up, dusting it off and putting it on.

Maxim raised an eyebrow at Madeline's shout, looking up to where she'd disappeared and watching her backpack fall down a short distance away. When she'd leaped down, he raised an eyebrow at her as if wondering whether he should be amused or concerned.

"Nice landing." He said, mimicking Jackson a bit in waving some dust away from his face, though far less dramatically. "If you'd gave a little more warning I could have caught that."

He had to assume since she'd dropped it from the ceiling so carelessly there was nothing in it that was breakable, but still. The thought that she was being dramatic on purpose was, at least, amusing.

She shrugged a little, "it's fine, it's pretty heavy so it probably wouldn't be fun to try and catch it." She glanced between him and Jackson, her smile fading as she grew serious. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing really." Jackson said softly, "just a canary or two." She nodded tightly, taking his meaning. "They saw you talking to me Doc, are you going to.."

He shook his head a little, "I'll be fine, I'll be moving on down the trail." "You know where to find me if you need me." She nodded a little, understanding his meaning.

She stepped forward and embraced him for a moment, "stay safe Doc." He hugged her back, "you too lil lady" When she stepped back he nodded to Maxim, "be sure to do your job Mr Orwell."

With that he walked away to gather his things, Madeline turned to face Maxim. "We should go." She said softly, her expression hard to read.

Maxim wasn't entirely sure her assessment of his arm strength was accurate, but let it go without protest. He watched the exchange between Madeline and Jackson with some curiosity, understanding easily enough that the older wolf had passed on his message without so many words. She trusted him, quite obviously, and there was some amount of care between them, even if it was only the kindred spirits of two people struggling to survive.

"I intend to." Maxim said plainly when the man advised him, respectful but certain. "And you hang on to that card."

Madeline's feelings on the matter of possible trouble were unclear, but if the rest of her life was any indication Maxim was sure she would be ready. "Probably for the best," he said with a slight shrug, and turned to lead the way. "You'll have to forgive me for not saying 'ladies first'." If there was trouble waiting for them outside, it was best he walk out ahead of her.

She seemed a little hesitant, not wanting him to get hurt because of her, but she nodded a little. She knew he wouldn't agree, and her cumbersome backpack slowed her down a little.

"Alright, lead on but keep your eyes peeled." She warned softly, "even if no-one jumps us, they'll probably try and tail us." Which she worried would be very easy, since it was obvious which car they came in.

Maxim only nodded, aware that whoever had left the building could be waiting just outside or could have run off to retrieve someone else and give away their location. Rather than speak more he kept his steps quiet and stopped a good foot or so back from their exit, just listening for a moment and trusting her to be quiet without having to be told. Only when he was sure no one was standing there waiting for them did he finally dare to pull back the canvas covering their small entryway and check with his eyes as well. It was the best place to bottleneck their departure and take advantage, so he was glad there was no one present and slipped out first, keeping his eyes peeled and offering a hand to Madeline without looking in case she needed help getting her backpack out with her. Qhen she was free, he started to walk, quietly though not slowly and with his senses attuned to their surroundings.

Trouble didn't come until they got to the corner of the building. Maxim heard a single footstep as warning before a length of metal pipe came swinging for him, but rather than retreat he rushed forward, taking a lessened blow to the ribs to catch the attacker's arm beneath his and locking their bodies close enough together that there was no room to attempt pulling back and swinging again. Rather than wait to assess the situation Maxim took the man by the front of his shirt, swept a leg around behind his, and slammed him down onto the ground with a growl in his throat.

"Not quite quick enough," He said, holding the other man down beneath his weight and keeping his arm locked in tight enough to threaten breaking it. "Do you recognize him?"

She followed behind him, she stayed close but not close enough to get in the way. Her footsteps were silent but sure, she walked with no hesitation, her eyes roaming everywhere but her feet.

Taking Maxims hand briefly she slipped out easily enough, though the backpack was a pain. She listened intently for any sound, feeling a bit on edge.

Her feeling that something was wrong made her wish she was in her other form, her super senses were handy for situations such as this.

She hung back from him as he approached the corner, her uneasiness rising intensely as he stepped around and she was going to call a warning but she was a second too late.

It seems she needn't have worried, as Maxim took the hit and rushed forward to subdue his assailant without so much as flinching. She was surprised, but also suitably impressed.

Stepping closer to get a better look at his face, there was a vague sense of familiarity but nothing concrete. She shook her head a little, "His face looks kind of familiar but no I don't know him."