4. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
  2. Nonbinary
Genres
Fantasy, High fantasy

The world was going through a metamorphosis. The Dynasty was poised to be the next world power. The White Sand Empire languished due to their penchant to discommode. A collective of ethnostates governed by infants. Toddlers who placed their race on a pedestal. What inanity to presume such immutable traits were a sound enough foundation for a lasting empire. Nevertheless, the spider of the jungle wasn't foolish enough to discount the threat their sanguinary nature might breed.

Those born to the south were blissfully incognizant of the powerhouse budding within the primordial bosom—the ignition of industry, the investment of research, and the unification rendered by a new ideal. Step by step, the matron governed her people, using her perspicuity to circumvent the pitfalls of hubris. The reach of her webbing was far, and its intricacies exceeded fathomability. Centuries of work were soon to bear their fruit. And as the Verdant Dynasty stood now, it seemed improbable that anyone could desist the wheels of progress.

The council she had placed served a function, disseminating an illusion that puffed the lesser wills with a sense of control. However, they held no sway, and their seats were merely gestures. An empty platitude of reverence engineered to convey a semblance of authority and freedom. Periodically the spider balked and accepted a loss during their rulings. Patiently buying her time as their existences were ephemeral. The spider was playing the long game. For if there was one objective benefit to the malediction that beset her, it was that immortality endowed her with time to wait.

They were all dolts plagued by myopic eyes and false conceptions of grandeur. And with each generation, her hold over the nation's heart strengthened. Soon, everything she envisioned would come to pass—one collective, motivated not by materialism but by something far more inestimable. Ideas, while intangible, held an undeniable grip over the temporal plane. And that was how she'd cement her legacy, not by fire and war alone, but by sowing thoughts into the people's minds and gradually revising their lingua. The arachnoid's usurpation would be imperceptible and silent due to its pace. And the old world would die, not with a violent scream, but a whimper.

Valerna had learned long ago that despite what many would proclaim, the bulk didn't desire freedom. Since civilizations' dawn, the masses traded their liberties for amenities and securities. A perpetual barter that, while seditiously deferred for a time, was inescapable. A truth that many might oppugn from a position of ignorance. However, one needs only rummage through the chronicles of history to spot its virtually ubiquitous presence. A certitude she had endeavored to foil but unfailingly failed to sidestep. The spider learned from yesteryears' drubbings and sought to pivot and adapt to the mortal condition.

Many a fool might be prone to label such deductions as the marks of a pessimist. They might even go as far as to brand such views as egocentric. She supports their right to hold erroneous positions and wouldn't dare strip it from them. Unfortunately, the macrocosm isn't beholden to what we wish to be true. And struggle as they may to deny reality, they were all under its yoke. Freedom was a timeless fallacy—a lie espoused and masqueraded by rhetoric. All souls, regardless of their station, were indentured to something.

What separates an enslaved person from a "free" individual is that the bondage is willing. Family, friends, culture, theology, ideology, and self-improvement were all mistresses. And each will bear their thralldom without protest. Valerna herself wasn't unfettered from this truth. She was a servant, a slave to her idealism and her people. And everything she enacted was to further their longevity and interest. For heavy is the crown, but heavier is the price of failure.

Manipulation often carries with it an air of negativity. Nonetheless, the truth was seldom so simple. One could coerce others to achieve great things and better their lot. The power of persuasion was above banal classifications such as good and evil. And like any mechanism, it was the intent and the consequence it begot that degraded or sanctified it. One doesn't get to pen how they will be remembered. That power resides within the commoners' fickled hearts and is solidified in due time.

Valerna soughed; such ruminations did little to lighten the load on her shoulders. Those chestnut eyes surveyed the municipality of the boneyard as she stood on her terrace. The heft of responsibility was unavoidable. Nevertheless, she brooked it for one simple reason. Someone else might get it wrong. Remaining hushed, the spider took a sip from her chalice. The warm crimson ichor ran down her gullet as she let out a sigh of endorsement. The blood of fresh game always had a way of stifling her nerves.

The clangor of the city, the vista of progress, ensured the chieftain remained true to her vision. However, from on high, it all appeared relatively small and insignificant. Complacency was a scourge, a nemesis she must vie with if the world of tomorrow was to come to fruition. And she had to remain steadfast and purge it from her heart and that of her most loyal constituents. And so she had dispatched a courier to summon her general. Watari was born in the desert. A bastard that she invested in despite the protest of the council. And so far, an asset that had proven his worth.

The giantess beamed as she basked under the kiss of the binary sols on her pale skin. That shapely figure was bedecked in her signature rubicund bone. Those spider ligaments affixed to her spine groomed her auburn mane as that split oral muscle cleaned any remaining blood from her succulent lips. Visibly, she appeared youthful. Yet, despite her hedonistic veneer and blemishless skin prowled something else. And the only indication of her true self might be gleaned from those brown eyes—the faint flickering of a weary and seasoned soul.

Unhurriedly the spider placed her libation of choice on the banister as she reached for her harp. Valerna roosted on her web hammock as she settled the osseous harp on her lap. Gingerly, those talons strummed away as the wind carried her music. A song she learned long ago, a melody forgotten by time. And though history may be predisposed to omit such particulars. Providentially for those things unwritten, Valerna was far less susceptible to such inclinations.

The Araneae now sang a song from a dead language—the original dialect of the giants. The lyrics of which no scholar could translate. Nevertheless, her haunting crooning and that mesmerizing melody would resonate outward while she waited for Watari to approach the balcony attached to her chambers.

Last edited:
Watari Devante grew up as a bastard. He had seen firsthand the cruelty of the desert since his mother evacuated him from her womb. The people's hearts were calloused, indifferent to their neighbor's suffering. After failing to save them, he abandoned his people and brought those loyal to him up north. Valerna Jorgenskull accepted them and had thus far treated them kindly. Unlike the royals of his ancestral home, the dynasty was guided by principle. And having an interest in philosophy, he found the matron's words of wisdom engrossing.

Valerna's kindness would never be forgotten, winning her the fox's undying loyalty. Proudly he safeguarded the Skeletal highway. His forces repelled any southern incursions while the stalwart officer prepared his troops for an imminent war. An era of peace presented itself, but the spider saw it as a trick. Watari wouldn't question her. He saw no harm in keeping his army on their toes. The need to respond and serve as the tip of the spear was his purpose in this new world. It was the least they could do for the nation that accepted these migrant warriors into its fold.

The kitsune received the letter, and he set off to the capital city without delay. His arrival onto those familiar streets was met without obstacles. And as Watari walked with his entourage, his peach eyes studied the faces of the people. They made their way from the lower districts to the palace. The group navigated through the corridors as they ascended to the cranium of the skull palace. Once he approached the door to Valerna's room, he'd order his men to wait outside along with the other sentries. Those posted to secure the door pushed it open, the barrier creaking as the armor-clad general stepped through the threshold.

Watari noticed the same board game from before. The pieces were unmoved as the exact position seemed forever frozen on that table. He recalled well what that signified, a game not of just wit but a battle for the future of this world. Instead, he wouldn't dawdle and marched to the open balcony, where his sensitive ears picked up on that song and instrument. His queen was a woman of many talents. Not shocking, given how long she gas allegedly sojourned. He stepped through the flapping fabric as he now stood outside.

He moved his eyes over to the source of that enchanting composition. Those armor-clad fingers scratched his beard as the soldier turned to face the spider. Valerna was on her web while those fingers daintily plucked away at the strings. Quickly he'd ball his fist and bang it against his bone-armored breast. The fox bowed after doing so, holding that position for a moment before standing upright. It was a shame he had to interrupt such artistry, but duty always took priority.

"Pardon both the delay and the intrusion, my chieftain. It's good to see you again. I've had time to read over the contents of your letter, and if you're ready, I'd like to review my reports with you." He paused, those eyes trying not to linger too long on her. Watari understood she was subconscious about her build. It made sense; he couldn't imagine being reduced to an object of lust or having those of small mind brand you a harlot due to one's body. He remembered how Valerna once said she took pity on broken things, for she was once in such a wretched state.

"How is Florentina holding up? I heard she consumed the primordial heart. And, if her head isn't staked, is it fair to assume you expected or planned for such a thing?" He questioned deliberately. The two had developed a rapport, and he needn't fear conducting himself so formally since they were alone. It was an unwritten rule within their relationship as friends.

Gently, Valerna rocked back and forth leisurely on the hammock. The arachnid seldom had much time to reminisce over the past or engage in much-needed introspection. Such a rare moment of solace warranted a mite of appreciation. Those amber jewels took in the splendor of her creation. Her bosom puffed from pride and distinction while that split tongue spun about the piercing of her lip. Fueled by how under her reign, the giants went from fractured tribes to an expanding nation. Yet, she apprehended what this epiphany inferred; her work was far from done.

Ostensibly, the ocean of time might dupe one into regarding it as placid. However, Valerna knew better. She beheld the imminent squall, the tempest that sought to undo everything. A menace stalking just beyond the veil exceeding their finite perception. There, within the tenebrosity of the space between the pages, she witnessed them. Innumerable eyes, like luminaries, radiating out across the darkness. Their disdain and ravenous nature were irrefutable. Entities who wanted nothing less than to scour the world clean of begrime, chiefly life.

Valerna was no stranger to the ambivalence inherent to life. During her odyssey, she witnessed a myriad of tragedies and travesties alike. There were always wars and rumors of conflict. Pestilence and famine popped up throughout the account of history. And yet none could compare with the dread she felt when encountering that scourge. They were something different. An unnatural cancer sworn to a vile crusade. This realization and the discovery of their cyclical harvest inspired her rise to power. She needed to prepare the jungle and globe for their arrival.

The reports of that eldritch train only corroborated her suspicions. That the opportunity to prepare was dwindling. Trepidation, such a word, best describes the atmosphere. The playing of that harp was meant to quell her anxiety. Despite her drudgery, they weren't ready, and it was being left in the dark concerning their coming that kept her up most during the twilight hours. Whenever alone, she ran through a slew of scenarios. The spider's analytical mind strategizes to best formulate a defense with her current forces. And she drew a blank every time, adding an unsettling air of hopelessness.

The din of Watari's approach snapped her back to this juncture of time. Those eyes of brown swerved over to the doorway as the distinguished kitsune stepped onto the balcony. A motherly smile greeted the warrior poet as he went about the expected formality. Valerna chuckled, finding his professionalism to be becoming. She often informed the pup that there was no need to carry himself in such a light when they were alone—a gesture of trust and respect, things she rarely dispensed with liberally. Nevertheless, the stubborn man seemed inclined to stick to his old ways. She supposed it was true. You really couldn't teach an old dog new tricks.

Wordlessly she abided by the entire exhibition. The giant extended a nod of thanks as those spindly talons halted the strumming of those chords. Cooly, she'd place it onto her webbing as the colossus removed herself from that roost. She'd maintain her composure even as she sashayed to the railing to grab her drink. The Aranea slaked her thirst while the officer prattled off before presenting his inquest. Those groomed brows were raised to communicate her shock as those orbs studied Watari's choice of attire. It was a pity she'd have to put down her poison of choice.

She gently placed the chalice onto a nearby table while sighing with delight. Watari had been given enough time to stew, and she figured it was high time she addressed her loyal hound. Daintily she'd utilize a handkerchief of silk she assembled to dab away the crimson hue of her lip.

"Always to the point, aren't you, Watari?" She purred before tossing that handkerchief onto the table next to the cup.

"You do know how to capture a lady's attention. If there is one thing I treasure more than anything under the azure, it's reports." Valerna's sarcasm was hardly obfuscated. A playful jest that inspired a smile across her visage once more.

The orb weaver paused as she considered his concern for her daughter. Was it possible her general had developed a crush on the diva? How scandalous. The very thought of their union was almost comical. Something told the matron that her general wouldn't survive such a lewd encounter. Far be it from her to judge his carnality. It wasn't as if she was chaste herself. One could consider that portion of her life as promiscuous.

"I never considered that you might have a thing for my daughter. Don't worry; I won't divulge your interest to her." The chieftain laughed before sighing and shaking her head.

"Indeed, she gorged on that vile relic. Whether or not I planned for such a thing is a different matter altogether." The jezebel paused before strutting closer to the warrior poet. Her movements stopped while her dominant hand rested on her broad hip as it angled slightly. Those brown eyes peered into Watari's orbs as if they were daggers.

"You overestimate my ability to restrain her. Florentina has always been a tad rambunctious. That is her greatest strength and weakness. Paradoxical but true all the same." An audible pop exited her mouth as she played with her tongue to lighten the mood.

"I'm nothing if not adaptive. As far as I am concerned, she valiantly bore that cursed artifact's mark for the people—a martyr. Plus, she's family. What message would we be sending if we butchered our own? I know all too well the ramifications of her headstrong decision. And, when she comes to terms with it, I'll be here to do what mothers do best." She sighed before rolling her eyes.

"One last thing Watari. If you're really that concerned about her, you could visit her. I'm sure she misses your little workout sessions. She won't voice it. But I can't help but shake the suspicion she regards you as a brother. Just a very lilliputian sibling. And one not as muscular." Valerna concluded with a jab, poking fun at the wager he lost with Florentina.

Watari had served by her side for many years, and not once had the chieftain betrayed his trust or made a grave blunder. The invasion of the sands and the integration of some of its species had been handled masterfully. He respected and esteemed the spider because she had rated it through her actions. Finding a leader who kept their word, let alone one with wisdom, was rare. His time under her rule had been the best years of his life. Somehow, she saw him for his potential, not his bastard lineage or race. But something seemed off.

His queen seemed more distant and absorbed in thought of late. Her movements, while still well calculated, were picking up pace. What did Valerna know that she didn't say aloud? For all their professed loyalty, the council seemed unconvinced regarding her warnings. Watari wouldn't blame them. He once held reservations until he met the defiled for himself. The events of skeletal highway forever unnerved him. And while he didn't believe her claims of immortality, he saw her as the best one to lead their future. And that had to count for something.

The fox remained still, his peach eyes narrowing as the arachnid responded with tomfoolery. He knew his matron well enough to identify what caused such behavior. Valerna was hiding something, which didn't sit well with Watari. He'd endure her mockery at his expense, slightly offended at her insinuations. Florentina was a friend. She was a fine tactician and warrior, someone he had often entrusted his life to. Their bond went no further than that.

"Your daughter is a fine warrior and strategist. I witnessed her prowess and leadership throughout the campaigns. She is nothing more than a friend, a comrade who has merited my trust. My people often said women had no place in the armed forces. However, Matsumota, Florentina, and yourself have swayed my position. They're wrong. I don't see her as a prize or some idol of lust. I regard your daughter as my best friend. And with your blessing, I would love to head north to the necrotic swamp. I could use the furlough."

Watari paused for a minute, his eyes studying the spider as she stood close. Was she sizing him up? Could this all be some test? It wouldn't be the first time the matron evaluated his perceptiveness or fidelity. The kitsune sighed again, folding his arms across his breast as he stood defiantly. She had always claimed he was a friend and that his professionalism wasn't needed when they were alone. Soon he'd find out how much truth resided in those words.

He was confident that would end such assumptions. The officer had enough of her antics, so he would quickly reply, but not before sighing from frustration. "For two decades, I've served as your sword. I upheld my duties with honor and faithfulness throughout my career. You would often give an order, and I'd carry it out without question. My chieftain, while you owe nothing to me, I wish to know what we're preparing for. I know you too well not to notice your use of humor. Officially I'm told it's in case the desert should rise and invade. However, the rate of expansion doesn't align with that narrative."

Watari declared, his hands gripping those forearms tightly as his eyes attempted to meet Valerna's own. "No more dancing around the truth. I want to know everything. Who you are, what our mission really is, and what future you see for the dynasty. Doing my job is difficult if I'm left in the dark. And I have earned this much. If not, order me to take my life, and I will."

Last edited:

Riveting, the devoted hound didn't possess a sense of humor. Valerna quickly extrapolated that any additional application of levity would be wasted. Notwithstanding her preference for the fox, she forgot how rigid the man was. His sternness reminded the spider of this fact, so she'd have to alter her approach. Which suggested she'd have to brook the ray of sunshine. Those amber jewels analyzed Watari, looking for any indications of weakness she could exploit during this civil exchange. Her efforts ultimately were met with failure.

Valerna soughed an audible pop cast from her tongue as the otherworldly extremities resumed combing her auburn mane. Those eyes tapered as she extracted a mite of satisfaction. How engrossing, it appeared the officer had seen through the facade. No matter, the ruse itself was immaterial in the grand scheme of things. She had long since readied her mental webbing for the inquisitive pup. And rather than shut him out or admonish his curiosity, she'd welcome it. The Araneae saw little point in girdling yes men within her filigree. Such flies supplied no substance and could only facilitate errors in her judgment.

She'd rest her hands on those broad hips as the web spinner paced back and forth. The giantess was pensive as she carefully regarded how to respond best. Was Watari ready for the truth? Had he never considered that periodic ignorance was bliss? Or did he thirst so profoundly for edification? Far be it from her to deny him the slaking of his mind. No matter the consequences, she'd divulge enough to sustain the warrior poet. He had, after all, rated that much.

"I see my use of humor eluded your comprehension. It doesn't matter. I'm cognizant that you hold no amorous wants toward my daughter. Just like her, you're addicted to your line of work and commitment. Your ardency has never been aimed toward such pursuits. Now, regarding your request for personal leave, consider it done. I'll see to the paperwork myself. You've earned some downtime to unwind." She agreed, tackling the easiest obstacle first.

Valerna desisted her pacing as she stopped in front of the man. A smile greeted Watari as the spider's mouth watered at the inebriating aroma of his blood. Providentially for the general, she had quite the degree of self-restraint. Outwardly, the giant might appear as an abomination. However, she had conquered those lesser compulsions long ago. But such transcendence didn't transpire without a great measure of drudgery and self-mastery on her part. Tenderly she'd place her claws on the kitsune's shoulders, those brown eyes peering down at him as she towered over the man. A motherly glow radiated forth, stilling any tension that may have materialized.

"Your people have legends concerning four immortal champions—meddlers whose influences to this day are carried via oral song. Among these mythological figures is an account of a pale lady with red hair—a wanderer from a distant land. I am this woman. My former name was Cicilly, and I fought alongside the original Devante—the progenitor of your illustrious lineage." She paused, removing her hand before turning her back. The jezebel strutted forward before she rested on the banister and overlooked the city.

"Funny, despite our maledictions, it seems I alone survived. I carry their crusade, the same mission that formed this great nation. I united the jungle and steered our resources for a single aim. My aspiration was never the consolidation of power for power's sake. No, such insanity can only lead to a failed state. I manteled this role to ensure we could adequately prepare for the true war. The very same threat we became aware of during our unholy transformation." She delayed, sketching those lips with her tongue as she motioned with her hand for Watari to join her by the railing.

"We called them the defiled. A name we didn't come up with but one inherited by those that came before. The same civilizations responsible for the ruins darted across the jungle and the desert. You met them during the haze incident. But what we encountered that day was nothing more than a scouting party. Those masses of shambling tumor-covered corpses were their pawns—an extension of their will, not the masterminds themselves.

The myths you have heard before, the creation of the canyon and crystal forest, are partially true. We plugged tears in the fabric of this reality, delaying the inevitable. However, our world comes closer to that precipice with each waning decade. The horde, the train, and the haze were all ripples forecasting an incoming tsunami.

The motivation behind why I invaded the desert was to force unification. I foolishly assumed that the denizens would see beyond race if they had a central antagonist. I'm just one woman. I can't prepare the entire globe. Instead, I prioritized one place and focused my efforts there. The Verdant Dynasty stands not as a mere empire. But as the last and first line of defense when the day of reckoning comes. And make no mistake; you will live to see that day.

The council downplays the gravity of the imminent crisis. I don't fault them. I would have done the same if I were in their position. Nevertheless, I'm confident regarding this inevitability. I have not only opposed and seen them but also spoken to our harbingers—the forerunners to our oblivion." Valerna gripped the handrail rightly as she inspected the city below.

"It's why I spend my free time here. That way, I can see this municipality and be reminded why I bear it all. Heavy is the crown, but heavier is the price of failure. And if I could give us a fighting chance, no matter how small, my curse of immortality was worth bearing. That is my cross; that is my true mission. To honor my former comrades and to give the generations that follow a future."

Watari wouldn't move even as his chieftain placed her ruby claws on his shoulder. Valerna's effort to make him chuckle failed. He understood she was playing around, but he wasn't in the mood for such games. He wanted to know the truth behind his matron's actions, so he disregarded anything that didn't seem relevant. Watari would smile and nod as she granted him the vacation he requested. It would be nice to meet his old friend, maybe spar with her and see how she's been holding up since the passing of her wife. Despite finding their union disgusting, he could see that Florentina genuinely loved that parasitic woman.

The general nodded, keeping quiet as the spider finally opened up. Watari had heard such stories before, old myths of the desert. He never gave them much thought and assumed that while they had a bit of truth, they were, at best, immensely exaggerated. The clash with elder beings, the purging of the Mer regime, and the changing of the sand white seemed preposterous. Could they be truthful accounts? If so, could Valerna indeed be one of them? He knew she was older than she looked, but could the giant be that ancient?

"I've heard the stories. What sand chimp hasn't? You'll have to forgive me if I'm skeptical. But you look good if you're over two thousand years old. What's your secret?" The fox smirked as he joked. Those peach eyes watched his chieftain as she walked over to the edge of the terrace. And once invited, he'd accompany her. His eyes looked down to the ground as it proved a sense of smallness. Keeping focused, the officer listened to the arachnid's words as she kept selling her story. Valerna wasn't one to lie, and if she were going to fabricate a tale, surely she could do better. No, the absurdity convinced the philosopher that she was telling her version of the truth.

"The defiled, you used that word when we encountered them on the beach. I still have nightmares over that whole battle. Everything about it just seemed off. Tell me, what do those things want? We could employ diplomacy to sidestep this war of yours. I may be good at my job. But how do I prepare my men to face something I cannot understand?" Watari sighed, his mind struggling to break down and comprehend everything he was being told. Some of it lined up, and other bits were too fantastical.

"My chieftain, if what you're saying is accurate and our legends have truth to them. Does that mean the myths surrounding the primordial heart are correct as well? If so, what's going to happen to Florentina? Why would you let her consume such a dangerous relic? By Yuen'eth'nars hair, does that mean she is doomed?" The fox regarded himself as an intelligent fellow. He wasn't superstitious, but given what he was told, he questioned what to believe. The traditional stories said anyone who ate that corrupted flesh was destined to die. And the idea that Valerna would sacrifice her own daughter greatly upset him.

"At the risk of offending you, do you have any proof of these claims? Surely during your time wandering this world, you gathered some evidence to back a fraction of your claims? I agree the defiled are a threat. Perhaps we can use what little you have to sway the council members. Even if you are mad, this was all made up in your mind. It won't change my stance. I stand by you and swore a pledge to build this better world of yours. Defiled or no defiled."

He spoke before trying to meet her gaze. "You were wise to focus your efforts. I can only pray my people see reason before it's too late. And, if not, I intend to rebuild the old world with your blessing..." He concluded with a sense of sorrow in that voice.

Indubitably, the accounts her general had heard held a pittance of truth. Nevertheless, such sagas were embellished. Vis a vis his dearth of understanding concerning the facts. Valerna hadn't the time nor the drive to apprise the fox. Whatever folklore his people constructed about her history was of little significance. The detailed record of their activities held minor influence in the modern age. The names of former adversaries and allies had long since been scrubbed from the collective memory. Watari could rummage through all the dusty tomes and walk away with an incomplete picture.

A chortle followed by a smile presented itself to Watari. A gesticulation that signified the spider appreciated his humor. If her reign should end, he could find lucrative employment as a jester. Valerna deviated those brown eyes away from the metropolis. Those foci fixated on the man as he presented a solution. A hefty sigh divorced itself from those succulent lips. The chieftain was undoubtedly unamused by his suggestion.

"They're far from mindless monstrosities. The defiled have no interest in preserving the status quo. Instead, they seem intent on scouring it away. Trying to alter their position will be a waste of time and energy. What they demand is nothing short than our extinction. In their minds, they're the harvester and sowers of seeds. Kernels that bud into new life forms. The arbiters of fate and the progenitor of genesis. You needn't believe me. I'm sure you'll have your opportunity to try and plead with them. Although I suspect you'll be disappointed by the results."

Valerna appreciated that despite his station, Watari wasn't prone to stoke the embers of war. However, his pursuit for peace would ultimately not avail him. There are some in this world that words alone would fail to reach. And much like a raging forest fire, the verdure that reclaims the scorched earth tends to come back stronger and healthier.

"Skepticism is healthy. Ultimately, the certitude of my words isn't contingent on your acceptance. Discount what you may. It makes no difference. Time, as always, will verify the truth, even if sometimes its arrival seldomly materializes when we want it to."

Calmly, the arachnid shifted her legs as she reached and finished her drink. Those brows arched as she relished her prized libation. A sigh of relief escaped her gullet as the satisfied giant positioned the chalice where it formerly rested. Her deportment remained unruffled even as Watari questioned her intentions. Providentially for the pooch, his indictments were anticipated, so it didn't spawn ire. That's what she esteemed most about the officer. Few had the spine to oppugn her words. And that contest wasn't birth from a position of disdain but love.

"The primordial heart is responsible for the mark I now bear. It is the forerunner of the end of times. The boneyard, the core of my empire, was built on its taint—a desperate bid to safeguard that vile organ from falling into the hands of your people. The last time they obtained it, they shattered it and summoned the Eldrtich Edifice. The world almost died that day. So are the myths true? I suppose to a degree. But I learned long ago that such stories tend to become exaggerated as time passes."

The Araneae turned to face the general. Her hands supported her weight on that banister as she met his gaze. The two locked eyes as a moment of silence emerged. Valerna would let the kitsune fester before addressing his wild string of inquiries regarding Florentina.

"You presume I have the power to restrain her. That's a bold assumption. There are limitations to my abilities. I can't control your heart or your mind. Neither can I subdue the will of my daughter. Her obduracy and aspiration to protect the kingdom disguised as the pursuit of strength are admirable. It's paradoxically her finest and worst characteristic. I foresaw it as a possibility. But I wouldn't dare deny her the right to choose her fate. A mother's love knows no bounds. However, true love is knowing when to let go.

No one has ever wolfed down that relic. So I haven't the faintest inkling what ramifications await her or us. Nevertheless, she is still very much alive and seems to be in good health and spirit. If anyone is staunch enough to tame that infernal energy, it's her. If nothing else, she has liberated me of one responsibility. Unknowingly she removed a bomb, one that could have leveled the dynasty. In my eyes, she is a hero."

She turned around, resting her back on the railing as those legs overlapped. Those arms stretched across the length of the bar while Valerna peered at Watari from the corner of her eyes. Those loose strands of auburn hair were unable to obscure the fire in those spheres.

"Few things survive that long. Trust me, I know. Empires, borders, and even the formation of the planet's surface aren't immune to the upheaval of time. I swear I've even noticed the sols of twilight appear and fade from the firmament. I can offer no proof that won't be susceptible to disbelief. The council will come around once those things slip through the veil. For now, I'll allow them to criticize me privately and publicly. Their doubt will backfire and strengthen my position when it's all said and done. I need only wait, and time is the one resource I have infinite of.

I suspect sooner rather than later; there will be another incursion. The barrier is languishing. The more fragile it becomes, the more familiar the defiled's meddling will arise within the people's purview. Stick to the plan, and we will survive. Our friends have never faced a unified people before. And I'll exploit that complacency and arrogance to break the cycle. The wheel of time and its heartless turning will cease to exist. After all, everything changes; why should this be any different?"

The chieftain spoke with pure conviction. Valerna's wisdom and intellect kept Watari glued to her side. The two have withstood a great deal, and he was confident the defiled would prove no different. His eyes met her gaze as he consumed every word that escaped her lips. The spider always seemed ready, likely a byproduct of her immortality. He had met many who claimed to be aged and undying, yet none could compare to his leader. Watari kept silent, his mind delving into thought as he considered their options.

Valerna argued that diplomacy would ultimately fail. He didn't doubt the odds were stacked against him, but surely there was no harm in trying? Regardless, he'd hold his rank with honor and fulfill his vow. And even if the world ended and it was all for naught, Watari would meet the rendevous with death as a faithful soldier. He was no stranger to death. He had encountered it many times. It rarely wore the same mask, but its mark was undeniable. A signature that he often wrought about in his poems whenever holding a front.

Watari nodded, his peach eyes moving out of Valern'a gaze and its gravity. He mulled over it all, trying to find a fault. His matron was correct on many points if he were to extend the benefit of the doubt. Florentina may have liberated them of the weight of that artifact. But the cost of such an action greatly bothered the fox. He saw her as a friend, a true comrade, and they were in short supply. He'd make a note to discuss such topics with her when he visited. He'd see with his own eyes what effect her rash action created. And should she require his help, Watari would continue providing it.

One part of that speech stood out to the kitsune. The spider did not attempt subterfuge concerning the council. Was she exploiting their disbelief against them? Could Valerna aim to rectify a broken element in the system of government? Or maybe she intended to commandeer complete control? A dissatisfied expression appeared on Watari's face as he grappled internally. There was no doubt she was a great ruler. But he feared absolute power would corrupt her.

Watari watched as she moved about against that railing. His left hand clenched the bone bar for support while the free one stroked his beard. He could feel her eyes focusing on him even though he kept his focus on the horizon. "They sound arrogant. Who invested them with the right to purge away life? Can we use the hole in their philosophy against them? Sometimes the best way to best your opponent isn't to meet on the battlefield. But to conquer their will and belief before you should cross forces."

The general had learned much regarding war working alongside Florentina. The diva was labeled as a calloused brute. However, beneath those muscles resided a wise soul. She understood war better than most, and many of her nuggets of wisdom had aided the kitsune during times of war. "I presumed little. I've followed you long enough to know you often have a contingency plan. And I've seen firsthand your ability to wheedle and coerce others. Remember, we once stood on opposite lines on the battlefield. Back then, you were outnumbered, and my former kings felt they had secured victory. You preyed on our overconfidence and nature and shifted the odds in your favor. Others may underestimate you. I won't fall for such a pitfall ever again."

He added before turning to face his chieftain. Those eyes tried to make out any shift in Valerna's body language. "I am nowhere near as aged as you. But even I've seen the forgetfulness of the world. In hindsight, it was a stupid request. In the end, I'm optimistic that your words will be more accurate than false. Do you know when we can expect this barrier to give way or where it might occur? I'm ahead of schedule regarding our plan. But I rather not relax now. Something tells me I'll need every inch."

Watari sighed, grinning as he contemplated reaching south to Samara or Matsumota. They both had resources and an army. If he cultivated bonds now when things went awry, they'd be inclined to join him in repelling or delaying the defiled. "I could arrange a meeting with the lioness of the sands and the blood fox. I am sure they'll be willing to join the fight once those monsters emerge." Those eyes once more met Valerna's gaze as he presented an unorthodox proposal.

"By the way, what of Zelena? I see her people have sidestepped extinction. She'd north around the swamp, according to reports. The same documents also claim your daughter is in contact with her. It is concerning that they united the turzien, ysstmar, and toadlin under their banner. It's impressive that thirty tribes now mark under a single banner. It would be foolish not to watch things while extending an olive branch. I will incorporate that talking point when I visit Florentina. If I discover anything, I'll let you know." Watari spoke while revealing his willingness to help and think outside the box. It highlighted just how aware he was of the geopolitical scene. Both to the north and south of the Verdant Dynasty.

Arrogant? The defiled were entities of conviction. And while Valerna gainsaid against their conclusion and crusade. She had conversed with them before and uncovered some merit in their philosophy. However, most worldviews harbor wisdom and thought-compelling points within their dogma. Somewhere, buried within that extreme outlook, was a pittance of truth. And it pained her to concede that much. Nevertheless, she'd abstain from voicing such a thing audibly.

The two lulled on that terrace. The outlook of her dear friend and general was always welcomed. Watari's passion and belief in their mission was humbling. It filled the spider's heart with glee, knowing he supported her unorthodox approach. Surprisingly, the kitsune was quick to consider alternatives. It was this initiative that inspired a simper across the matron's profile.

"Whether they're conceited or not is immaterial. The macrocosm cares not for such things. Ultimately, the best way to prove their assertion is faulty is to overcome them. If we break the cycle, we shatter the logic. I learned long ago that there is no right or wrong side to history. Only victors and losers. Albeit, in this case, the cost of failure is only extinction." Valerna soughed, those brown eyes veering over to her officer as he conjectured manipulating their zealotry.

"What an astute observation. Indubitably, to utilize their beliefs against them is a form of mastery. I already have, and it has led to a pause. Twice now, they reasoned we'd falter. The horde and the edifice were both initial invasion forces. When we spoke, they said unity due to diversity was hopeless. They reasoned that our differences would only incite conflict and perpetuate suffering. The defiled endeavored to persuade me that becoming one with their song was the only way to guarantee peace. The dynasty stands as a testament that their premise is flawed."

Valerna saw little point in going much further down that line of thought. She may have been the resident expert on those things. But even her knowledge pertaining to them is lacking. Watari's retraction of his former point was admirable. It spoke volumes about his character. And it was such open-mindedness that made him such an invaluable resource. He wasn't afraid to challenge her and offer different routes while thinking outside the box.

Her brows lifted as Watari expressed an interest in rousing the badlands. The spider had long since regarded the desert as dead. Their unwillingness to set aside superficial details like their race made any effort to redeem them costly. She wouldn't deny him the opportunity to see such a method's futility for himself. However, the Araneae would only fritter a little time or resources on what she considered a dead end. Perhaps she had misjudged, and Watari could prove her wrong?

"Ah, your mother and dear friend. I've tried before to unify and convince the white sands. Unfortunately, it always ended in disappointment. Go ahead, and set up your little meeting. I'm open to being proven wrong. However, if it fails, swear to me you'll focus your efforts inward. We can't save those unwilling to help themselves." She declared with a visible wince.

Valerna felt a sting from such callous words. The source of that discomfort wasn't due to the questionable morality of the statement. It stemmed from the fact she empathized with and cared for Watari. Ultimately, she could walk away with little regret. Her general, however, wasn't so fortunate. His family lived in that necropolis of a province. With any luck, that familial bond might coerce Matsumota to join their coalition. Samara, on the other hand, she saw as a wild card.

The spider smiled in a flimsy measure to ameliorate Watari's vexed heart. Valerna didn't want it to end on such a sour note. She'd appropriate his final conversation point as a mode of redirecting the flow of this exchange.

"Ah, yes, the monster alliance. I'm well aware of their recent partnership. I'm not overly concerned, given my daughter is a core member. Zelena and I have had our differences. But I think we've moved beyond the past. We "monster" girls can relate to one another's pain. I've already opened up communications with them. I'll soon meet with the Tribunal, Red Sap, and their union. We have much to discuss.

Regarding your visit north, snoop carefully. And if you should uncover something, don't hesitate to send word." She paused with a sigh before reaching over and patting Watari on the shoulder to console him.

"I trust them. But chaos is a road to power. And there are always those who wish to ride on its crests. Rest assured, if they should prove a detriment, I have my ways of squashing their resistance. There are certain truths I'm cognizant of that might prove problematic to those currently holding the reins."

She alluded to how she spared the toadlins and turzien when they first entered the world. The eldritch edifice birthed them, and others wanted to purge their blight from the realm. A core facet of their religion and myths was focused on that charity. Something she might be able to exploit to cause division within their harmonious federation.

Watari was none too amused by his chieftain's dismissal of their arrogance. He considered the defiled to be an insult to all that was natural. They may declare themselves necessary, but the philosopher found such affirmations dubious. He supposed he'd have his chance to meet these abominations. Although he wasn't keen on the idea of charging mindlessly into a foe. He could speak with Zelena and see what information the cephalopod had. She was nothing if not resourceful.

Valerna's distrust of the alliance made sense. But something told Watari she wasn't shocked by their formation. His chieftain needn't worry. In his mind, the dynasty was the sole power that won his allegiance. The general would march north, do some snooping and formulate his own opinion. And should he stumble across anything disheartening, he'd surely inform the spider.

The thought of having to turn his blade to old comrades was unnerving. Still, he wouldn't falter in his belief. And if push came to shove, he'd happily oppose them should a conflict emerge. After all, it wasn't the first time Watari rose against former kin. His campaign in the desert was proof enough to support his conviction. The fox had sacrificed too much to turn back now. The future they envisioned was almost within reach.

Watari's expression became that of relief. Valerna had extended him furlough and held no qualms about his investigation plans. He wondered if Florentina would see through his partial ruse. While it was correct that he longed to visit her for personal reasons. There was no denying his visitation held some professional benefit. Regardless of the outcome, he needed to see the unified swamp with his own eyes. To speak to its leaders and hear their camaraderie for himself.

The fox nodded, his dominant hand resting and clenching the hilt of his sheathed blade. Watari bowed, as was customary for his people to display gratitude. It also served to express the spider's sovereignty over him. Valerna was charitable and considerate. She felt his need to open the lines of communication with the desert was a waste of resources. And yet here she was, authorizing it to secure his happiness. A reward and act of kindness the kitsune officer wouldn't soon forget.

"Thank you. I must try to save my former people. But if they don't listen to reason, I'll wash my hands clean of them. Ultimately, my faith lies not in the desert but in the jungle, for she provides." Watari repeated an old verdant daying. It was his way of showing he was a Jorgenskull first and a Devante second. He rose, standing upright and with pride. Those peach eyes attempted to lock with Vaerna's own as he continued to speak.

"Flawed or not, I still feel it's arrogance. No matter. I won't waste further time debating something pointless. In due time I'll know for myself." That was his way of quicking settling the discussion on the defiled. His attention could now focus on something more immediate.

"You say you trust them. But I sense doubt. Maybe I'm assuming much and reaching? Whatever the case, I appreciate the leave. I bid you farewell. May you walk on soft soil." Watari knew the spider was busy. The exchange was never meant to run for hours. They were merely touching base and putting together a course of action. How beneficial that it aligned with his want for some time off. However, it wasn't exactly a vacation.

The fox turned around, giving the city one final inspection as that gloved hand stroked his beard. "I see why you love this perch. It has a way of making one feel small. It also motivates me. I know now what we fight for and the cost of failure. Until we meet again." Watari turned around, exiting the way he came as he left the chieftain to her thoughts. Hopefully his journey north would present no episode. He'd hate to discover that their alliance was superficial.