Tower of Eternity - Signups and OOC

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Eru
Is there still space for me? I'm not sure I ever noted my interest D:

Signups are still open, so sure! Go for it!

Oh, whew ^^" I was a little worried for a second there...
I'll have my character up and ready in a minute.

So I had to rush this a little and I'm p terrible with coding and such so I don't have any fancy formatting, but here's the basics for my character. I can add finer details later.

<b>Name:</b> Leah McCloyd

<b>Age:</b> 22 yrs

<b>Appearance:</b>

E87112F4-A254-4D1A-BEC7-FF8968269B39-565-0000003E644723FB.jpeg

<b>Gender:</b> female

<b>Ethnicity:</b> white, French Canadian ancestry

<b>Country of Origin:</b> United States (Michigan)

<b>Personality:</b> optimistic, adaptive, impatient, loves to learn, can be a little silly in her better moments, can be harsh at her worst

<b>History:</b>

Born on January 18 in Holland, Michigan, Leah graduated from Hope College at 20 years old and still lives in her hometown. She was killed at 22 when a semi rammed into her car one night on the highway. Needless to say, with full awareness of that happening she was more than a little confused when she woke up perfectly fine in her own home.

<b>Power:</b> ghost physiology (Ghost Physiology) —currently able to turn invisible or intangible for short periods

<b>Skills:</b>

- trained as a gymnast

- has practiced parkour a number of times

- adept with mathematics

<b>Weaknesses:</b>

- her customary bluntness gives her some trouble in social scenarios

- struggles with control of her powers at the moment, requiring heavy concentration to maintain any ability

- current skill (or rather lack thereof) with powers also means that she must stop using them after a little while otherwise she grows nauseous

So I had to rush this a little and I'm p terrible with coding and such so I don't have any fancy formatting, but here's the basics for my character. I can add finer details later.

<b>Name:</b> Leah McCloyd

<b>Age:</b> 22 yrs

<b>Appearance:</b>

View attachment 156596

<b>Gender:</b> female

<b>Ethnicity:</b> white, French Canadian ancestry

<b>Country of Origin:</b> United States (Michigan)

<b>Personality:</b> optimistic, adaptive, impatient, loves to learn, can be a little silly in her better moments, can be harsh at her worst

<b>History:</b>

Born on January 18 in Holland, Michigan, Leah graduated from Hope College at 20 years old and still lives in her hometown. She was killed at 22 when a semi rammed into her car one night on the highway. Needless to say, with full awareness of that happening she was more than a little confused when she woke up perfectly fine in her own home.

<b>Power:</b> ghost physiology (Ghost Physiology) —currently able to turn invisible or intangible for short periods

<b>Skills:</b>

- trained as a gymnast

- has practiced parkour a number of times

- adept with mathematics

<b>Weaknesses:</b>

- her customary bluntness gives her some trouble in social scenarios

- struggles with control of her powers at the moment, requiring heavy concentration to maintain any ability

- current skill (or rather lack thereof) with powers also means that she must stop using them after a little while otherwise she grows nauseous

Changing those < > to [ ] would solve your formatting issues.

As for the CS, there's a few things I'd like to see changed:
  1. I'd like to see the personality fleshed out into a paragraph, rather than a cluster of keywords. It's very hard to see this as an actual distinct character when there's a loose cloud of traits and so sense as to how they intermingle.
  2. The history doesn't really help flesh out this character as a person. They haven't moved away from home and they went to college. Is that really the sum total of this character's experiences? You say later she trained as a gymnast - that would be some useful contextual information to have.
  3. Powerwise - you can pick invisible or intangible. Everyone's powers are pretty weak right now, so while you may gain the ability to do either later on, for now you get to pick one.
  4. You say she has practised parkour a number of times - that doesn't necessarily give a decent gauge on her ability. I've practised drawing a number of times, yet I'm utterly hopeless at it.
  5. In terms of weaknesses, most of them are things that all characters will find in terms of conscious use of their powers right now. As the RP goes on, you'll end up with her only weakness being that she's blunt which is pretty minor as weaknesses go.
Ultimately, I can see the beginnings of an interesting character here, but the CS reads more like the early concept than the finished article. Don't feel like you need to rush, I'll be closing signups based on player numbers not time. As it stands, I'd like to see the finer details before I make any judgement on acceptance.

1. I'd like to see the personality fleshed out into a paragraph, rather than a cluster of keywords. It's very hard to see this as an actual distinct character when there's a loose cloud of traits and so sense as to how they intermingle.
  2. The history doesn't really help flesh out this character as a person. They haven't moved away from home and they went to college. Is that really the sum total of this character's experiences? You say later she trained as a gymnast - that would be some useful contextual information to have.
  3. Powerwise - you can pick invisible or intangible. Everyone's powers are pretty weak right now, so while you may gain the ability to do either later on, for now you get to pick one.
  4. You say she has practised parkour a number of times - that doesn't necessarily give a decent gauge on her ability. I've practised drawing a number of times, yet I'm utterly hopeless at it.
  5. In terms of weaknesses, most of them are things that all characters will find in terms of conscious use of their powers right now. As the RP goes on, you'll end up with her only weakness being that she's blunt which is pretty minor as weaknesses go.
Ultimately, I can see the beginnings of an interesting character here, but the CS reads more like the early concept than the finished article. Don't feel like you need to rush, I'll be closing signups based on player numbers not time. As it stands, I'd like to see the finer details before I make any judgement on acceptance.

Alright, thanks for the tips! I'll work on that now that I have time and I'm not late for anything :P

Okay, I've fleshed her out a bit more now. The thing is that usually when I create OCs, they just flow naturally into existence as I interact with them both in my head and in writing. I fully expect Leah to develop more as I roleplay as her.

Name: Leah McCloyd

Appearance:

1520637760856.jpeg

5'9" and slight of figure with piercing ice-blue eyes and dark brown hair cascading in soft waves over her shoulders, Leah keeps good posture out of an ingrained habit from her years as a gymnast. Her preferred outfit is a hooded shirt, patterned with horizontal, wide stripes in faintly grayed-out shades of teal and navy, paired with straight, dark jeans and charcoal Vans.
Voiceclaim: Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow, Captain America: Winter Soldier)
Ethnicity: white, French Canadian ancestry
Country of Origin: United States (Michigan)

Personality:
Optimistic and adaptive with a love for learning, Leah tends to be quiet but can be rather silly in her better moments. She also tends toward impatience, which when pressed can turn into tactless or biting words. This leaning masks severe anxiety about both herself and the trustworthiness of other people. Doing her best to power through this, she loves testing her limits both in physical and mental feats, which pairs well with her natural agility and mathematically wired brain.

History:
Born on January 18 in Holland, Michigan, Leah grew up with her parents and brothers as the second and only girl of three children. As she excelled academically, she was part of the high-school cheer team, drawn to it by the acrobatics. On the side, she took part in a number of gymnastics classes and practiced parkour with her older brother and his friends, finding that it appealed to her in some ways more than cheerleading. After graduating from high-school, Leah moved across the state to attend at the Michigan State University to pursue science and gymnastics but returned to her hometown once she graduated. While driving home one night, she was killed in a severe accident resulting from a distracted truck ramming into her car. Fully aware of this, she was more than a little confused when she woke up perfectly fine and in her own bed the following morning. Her confusion only increased when a sudden fright later in the morning ended in her unintentionally walking through a wall. As she searched to figure out what in the world had happened, she found a news report about a strange tower that had appeared in Philadelphia the day before, connecting the alien-looking structure to the recent power and internet outages. Perhaps that tower could explain her situation.

Power: ghost physiology (Ghost Physiology) —currently able to turn intangible for short periods

Skills:
  • trained as a gymnast
  • has practiced parkour a number of times and is decent at it
  • mathematically inclined brain
  • near-fluent in French
  • licensed gun-owner

Weaknesses:
  • human weaknesses
  • her customary bluntness gives her some trouble in social scenarios
  • struggles with letting herself be emotionally vulnerable
  • tends toward paranoia and overthinking things
  • current skill (or rather lack thereof) with powers means that using them requires heavy concentration and she must stop using them after a little while otherwise she grows nauseous
  • currently does not have a car, given that her only one was totaled
  • can count the number of times that she actually used a gun on one hand

Last edited:
Okay, I've fleshed her out a bit more now. The thing is that usually when I create OCs, they just flow naturally into existence as I interact with them both in my head and in writing. I fully expect Leah to develop more as I roleplay as her.

Appearance:

View attachment 156612

5'9" and slight of figure with piercing ice-blue eyes and dark brown hair cascading in soft waves over her shoulders, Leah keeps good posture out of an ingrained habit from her years as a gymnast. Her preferred outfit is a hooded shirt, patterned with horizontal, wide stripes in faintly grayed-out shades of teal and navy, paired with straight, dark jeans and charcoal Vans.

Personality:
Optimistic and adaptive with a love for learning, Leah tends to be quiet but can be rather silly in her better moments. She also tends toward impatience, which when pressed can turn into tactless or biting words. This leaning masks severe anxiety about both herself and the trustworthiness of other people. Doing her best to power through this, she loves testing her limits both in physical and mental feats, which pairs well with her natural agility and mathematically wired brain.

History:
Born on January 18 in Holland, Michigan, Leah grew up with her parents and brothers as the second and only girl of three children. As she excelled academically, she was part of the high-school cheer team, drawn to it by the acrobatics. On the side, she took part in a number of gymnastics classes and practiced parkour with her older brother and his friends, finding that it appealed to her in some ways more than cheerleading. After graduating from high-school, Leah moved across the state to attend at the Michigan State University to pursue science and gymnastics but returned to her hometown once she graduated. While driving home one night, she was killed in a severe accident resulting from a distracted truck ramming into her car. Fully aware of this, she was more than a little confused when she woke up perfectly fine and in her own bed the following morning. Her confusion only increased when a sudden fright later in the morning ended in her unintentionally walking through a wall. As she searched to figure out what in the world had happened, she found a news report about a strange tower that had appeared in Philadelphia the day before, connecting the alien-looking structure to the recent power and internet outages. Perhaps that tower could explain her situation.

Power: ghost physiology (Ghost Physiology) —currently able to turn intangible for short periods

Skills:
  • trained as a gymnast
  • has practiced parkour a number of times and is decent at it
  • near-fluent in French
  • licensed gun-owner

Weaknesses:
  • human weaknesses
  • tends toward paranoia and overthinking things
  • current skill (or rather lack thereof) with powers means that using them requires heavy concentration and she must stop using them after a little while otherwise she grows nauseous
Looks much better, but what do you mean by 'human weaknesses?

I wasn't sure if I needed to specify that she has all the same physical weaknesses as a regular human (you know, hostile environment, injuries, poisons, etc.), so I put it down just to be safe.

So is she accepted or is there something I still have to fix?

Just drop the human weaknesses line, since apart from the power and the reincarnation your characters are all still human, and you're good to go. Welcome aboard!

Just drop the human weaknesses line, since apart from the power and the reincarnation your characters are all still human, and you're good to go. Welcome aboard!

Aight, thank you ^^
Is there a specific place I should post the profile or just in these comments?

Aight, thank you ^^
Is there a specific place I should post the profile or just in these comments?
Just keep it in this thread, feel free to edit the original or post another.

• Thank You
Reactions: Astroblaze
Personality:
Generally serious and reserved but optimistic and even playful in her better moments, Leah is ambitious, hardworking, and adaptive with a love of learning that makes her highly attentive. She is smart, neat, and organized, but behind the quiet demeanor lies a high-spirited, adventurous, and brave persona revealed in her love of pushing her limits. At the same time, she can easily become jealous and tends to be impatient and critical of others' flaws to the point of tactless and biting words. This is due to her own anxiety over the trustworthiness of both herself and everyone around her. She also tends to be romantic but has difficulties expressing her affections. Social failings notwithstanding, she is deeply sensitive and compassionate to others with a dedication to honor and loyalty that can have her put her own life on the line for a friend.

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 146 lbs
Appearance:
Slight of figure with piercing ice-blue eyes and dark brown hair cascading in soft waves over her shoulders, Leah keeps good posture out of an ingrained habit from her years as a gymnast. She prefers full sleeves and pants, tending to wear layers, with comfortable, reasonably athletic footwear, one of her favorite outfits being a hooded long-sleeved shirt, patterned with horizontal, wide stripes in faintly grayed-out shades of teal and navy, over a navy camisole paired with straight, dark jeans and charcoal Vans.

Skills:
  • gymnast training
  • some skill at parkour
  • licensed gun-owner
  • first aid training
  • near-fluent in French
Abilities:
  • natural agility

Powerset: IntangibilityWeaknesses:
  • human weaknesses (hostile environment, toxic substance, tissue vulnerability, etc.)
  • blind when intangibly moving through opaque objects
  • particularly sensitive to certain frequencies of sound and vibration when intangible, especially when moving through something
    • high frequencies can cause nausea and disorientation
  • intangibility cancellation
  • non-physical interaction
  • tangibility interplay requires high concentration
    • can do unintended damage to self or target if focus broken
  • tends toward paranoia and overthought

Weapons/Gear:
  • Glock 42 handgun (concealed carry holster on right hip)
  • backpack
    • phone
    • small notepad and pencil
    • black Sharpie
    • granola bars and trail mix
    • extra ammunition
    • flashlight
    • extra batteries
    • pocket knife
    • first-aid kit
    • extra clothes
    • toiletries
    • windbreaker/rain jacket
    • warmer hoodie
    • fleece blanket

Power Grid
Intelligence: 3/7 — learned
Strength: 2/7 — normal
Speed (Running): 2/7 — normal
Speed (Flying): 1/7 — flightless
Durability: 2/7 — normal
Energy Projection: 1/7 — none
Fighting Ability: 3/7 — well-trained in self-defense but no actual experience​

History:
Born on January 18 in Holland, Michigan, Leah grew up with her parents and brothers as the second and only girl of three children. As she excelled academically, she was part of the high-school cheer team, drawn to it by the acrobatics. On the side, she took part in a number of gymnastics classes and practiced parkour with her older brother and his friends, finding that it appealed to her in some ways more than cheerleading. After graduating from high-school, Leah moved across the state to attend at the Michigan State University to pursue science and gymnastics but returned to her hometown once she graduated.

While driving home one night, she was killed in a severe accident resulting from a distracted truck ramming into her car. Fully aware of this, she was more than a little confused when she woke up perfectly fine and in her own bed the following morning. Her confusion only increased when a sudden fright later in the morning ended in her unintentionally walking through a wall. As she searched to figure out what in the world had happened, she found a news report about a strange tower that had appeared in Philadelphia the day before, connecting the alien-looking structure to the recent power and internet outages. Perhaps that tower could explain her situation.

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: RJS
So hows does this look?
Name: Sarah Elizabeth Pendleton

Appearance:

Ethnicity: Caucasian

Country of Origin: United Kingdom (England)

Personality: Fun loving, easy going and sociable are all words that could be used to describe Sarah although some people might prefer hedonistic slacker. She has always been eager to prove herself, change the world for the better and make her parents proud though she's not particularly interested in the dull day to day realities of doing this, instead preferring the flashy exciting things.

History: The only child of well to do parents in the home counties of England, Sarah had a charmed and uneventful childhood. She was educated at a series of small but well respected public schools and in her leisure time her parents made sure that she developed a range of hobbies including: skiing, horse riding, scuba diving and clay pigeon shooting.

By the time she finished school at eighteen, Sarah wasn't the next Einstein but she had acquired the grades to get herself into a good university. Her choice to study Environmental Science wasn't what her parents had dreamed of but somewhere along the way Sarah had picked up an idealistic streak and had decided she wanted to do some 'good' in the world.

As a student Sarah was fairly unremarkable. She was bright enough to keep up with the work but somewhat too interested in partying and having fun to truly excel, ending up with a distinctly average degree. Where she did succeed was in her non academic activities. Initially she had joined the universities boxing club on a whim, thinking that it might be fun to try but by the end of her second year she was taking part in and winning varsity matches for her university. Upon graduating Sarah made her way to the states, bouncing between temporary secretary jobs to keep her green card while relying on her parents moneys to keep up her lifestyle.

When the pulse hit, Sarah was too engrossed in her why her phone had suddenly died to notice the bus barreling towards her. All she can recall is a feeling of overwhelming pain and then waking up in her bed with no idea how she got there and a light feeling of pins a needles that seemed to extend several feet away from her body.

Power: Aerokinesis: Sarah can manipulate the movement of gas molecules so that they travel against the diffusion gradient allowing her to create pockets of elevated atmospheric pressure. So far through trial and error experiments Sarah has found that she can make a small balloon double in size if she holds it between her hands and concentrates.

Skills:
  • Boxing: Sarah has kept up her training in an piecemeal sort of way since she arrived in America. She's no fighting superstar but she really knows how to throw a punch.

• Physically fit: A bonus of having kept up her boxing training is that Sarah is in above average shape.
Weaknesses:
  • Lack of forethought: Sarah has the patience of a spoiled ten year old and prefers to dive into things head on, regardless of how sensible that is or the consequences.

• Slacker: Generally Sarah will do the absolute minimum amount of work that she can get away with.

So hows does this look?
Name: Sarah Elizabeth Pendleton

Appearance:

Ethnicity: Caucasian

Country of Origin: United Kingdom (England)

Personality: Fun loving, easy going and sociable are all words that could be used to describe Sarah although some people might prefer hedonistic slacker. She has always been eager to prove herself, change the world for the better and make her parents proud though she's not particularly interested in the dull day to day realities of doing this, instead preferring the flashy exciting things.

History: The only child of well to do parents in the home counties of England, Sarah had a charmed and uneventful childhood. She was educated at a series of small but well respected public schools and in her leisure time her parents made sure that she developed a range of hobbies including: skiing, horse riding, scuba diving and clay pigeon shooting.

By the time she finished school at eighteen, Sarah wasn't the next Einstein but she had acquired the grades to get herself into a good university. Her choice to study Environmental Science wasn't what her parents had dreamed of but somewhere along the way Sarah had picked up an idealistic streak and had decided she wanted to do some 'good' in the world.

As a student Sarah was fairly unremarkable. She was bright enough to keep up with the work but somewhat too interested in partying and having fun to truly excel, ending up with a distinctly average degree. Where she did succeed was in her non academic activities. Initially she had joined the universities boxing club on a whim, thinking that it might be fun to try but by the end of her second year she was taking part in and winning varsity matches for her university. Upon graduating Sarah made her way to the states, bouncing between temporary secretary jobs to keep her green card while relying on her parents moneys to keep up her lifestyle.

When the pulse hit, Sarah was too engrossed in her why her phone had suddenly died to notice the bus barreling towards her. All she can recall is a feeling of overwhelming pain and then waking up in her bed with no idea how she got there.

Power: Aerokinesis: Sarah can manipulate the movement of gas molecules so that they travel against the diffusion gradient allowing her to create pockets of elevated atmospheric pressure.

Skills:
  • Boxing: Sarah has kept up her training in an piecemeal sort of way since she arrived in America. She's no fighting superstar but she really knows how to throw a punch.

• Physically fit: A bonus of having kept up her boxing training is that Sarah is in above average shape.
Weaknesses:
  • Lack of forethought: Sarah has the patience of a spoiled ten year old and prefers to dive into things head on, regardless of how sensible that is or the consequences.

• Slacker: Generally Sarah will do the absolute minimum amount of work that she can get away with.
Love the character, but I would appreciate a little clarification on what you envisage her power as being able to do.

This turned into a real word vomit, sorry about that. what follows is largely a quick and nasty description of pressure on the human body with some other stuff chucked in.

Ok, so this is the best way in my head to lay out what I envisage for this power set for now and down the line. The broad stoke version is Sarah manipulate the movement of gas molecules in the air, either separating molecules out or creating pockets of raised and lowered pressure. Most of this is based around the effects of pressure on the human body, the things that follow are effects of the power mostly rather than a more direct link.

>One Bar:
Kind of the reverse of all of what follows, this is creating areas of greatly reduced pressure. I've had this as the high tier starting ability before with Sarah having to focus on doing this and only this to create some a bubble that has say a dinner plate size radius (I gave her the ability to make a cigarette sized bubble relatively easily in the past for fun but even that still needed concentration).

One Bar (Sea level):
Gas molecule manipulation: So this boils down to Sarah can move gas molecules around and sort of sense what they are (O2, CO2 etc) and can therefore create pockets of a certain gas. This uses gases that are obviously present in the atmosphere (I've normally focused on O2 for the physical boost it gives someone when it comes to punching stuff). I'm not going to pull a Christopher Palloni and decide because there is trace amounts of say methane in the atmosphere Sarah can pull enough of that together to make things go boom all the time, though obviously if some cracked a cylinder of it open near her the theory is that she could hold a pocket of it to where she wanted something to go boom. This whole shindig requires a amount of concentration from S so if shes having to do something like be in a fight then this isn't happening till she can get a moment to herself.

Two Bar: In terms of volume the greatest change happens between one bar and two bar. With twice the pressure, air pockets like lungs, sinuses and ears are put under stress until they are brought to the same pressure as their surroundings. With increasing pressure this hurts quite a bit (I can testify personally to that) until equalized. With decreasing pressure, as well as pain there's the possibility of a over expansion barotrauma if there's not equalization because the gas in the air pockets is trying to expand to double its volume.

Most people can equalize fairly instinctively (breathing is enough for the lungs and swallowing for sinuses etc) but anyone blocked up with a cold is going to be pretty uncomfortable). This effect applies down through all the pressures but from 1 to 2 is where it is most noticeable to someone experiencing it (that said anyone the holds their breath from seven bar to one bar is going to make they're lungs pop as the air expands to seven times volume).

Three Bar:
At this pressure most people with begin to experience nitrogen narcosis, which to put it simply is like being kind of drunk (one of its names is the martini effect). Unlike alcohol being you don't build up a tolerance for it, with practice you just kind of learn how to deal with it. It comes on relatively quickly but will go away just as quickly if not quicker when the pressure on the body decreases but is made worse by stress. This is the main effect that I've built other iterations of this character around in the past, the general dodaa being that a pressure bubble around Sarah doesn't require much effort for her to maintain up to a certain pressure (if she wants to shape or direct it that's a slightly different matter) which means that people she get close to start to get hit with the nitrogen and get slower and dumber.

Four Bar: The above apart from more pronounced effects of narcosis (basically more drunk).

Five Bar: Ditto

Six Bar:
Ditto but by now the effects of narcosis are at the point where people do really stupid/illogical things

Seven Bar: At this pressure oxygen becomes toxic and people are start having seizures and suffer either serious medical problems or die (this was has always in my mind been an endgame level of ability). This is the equivalent of being 60 meters underwater.

Note: Bringing people down from elevated pressures (three or more generally) after more than a few minuets risks giving them the bends (been there, done that, 1 out of 10) but that would be something I talk about OOC first because it is tedious.

OK, thanks for that extra info Applo. I think as a starting level then that being able to generate 2 bar of pressure in a dinner plate sized radius (basically, a bubble slightly larger than the average head) with the requirement of concentration would probably be a reasonable starting point. If you want to put that into the CS as her initial level, then Sarah is accepted and you are free to introduce her into the IC!