DISCUSSION GAMING What are your favorite games that have a romance element?

Megasis

I love bunnies
Original poster
STAFF MEMBER
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per day
  2. Multiple posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
If someone can come up with a good plot, I'm basically up for anything! Some of my favorites though are Sci-Fi, fantasy, myths and legends, and basically anything anime. I really like to take already existing universes and then create original characters to roleplay with. Again, I am open to original ideas as well!

Ex. I really like the world of Avatar the Last Airbender, but I don't really want to roleplay Aang, Katara and the rest of the gang. I would rather make original characters to roleplay in the world that already exists.

Some of the universes I'm familiar with include:

Games:
Nier: Automata
Witcher Wild Hunt
Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Last of Us
Castlevania
Legend of Zelda
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil
Dead Space
Fire Emblem

Anime:
Attack on Titan
Tokyo Ghoul
Owari No Seraph
B The Beginning
Parasyte
Sirius the Jaeger
Psycho Pass
-
While I really don't need a reason to add to my already expansive wishlist on steam... TELL ME ABOUT YOUR FAVORITE GAMES WITH ROMANCE ELEMENTS. The kind of stories that will make my heart go OOF or make me ANGY when it doesnt go the way I think it does. I want them all!

I will start >:3 Haven by development studio The Game Bakers is on sale right now and it is absolutely adorable. I love the two characters. For a small studio, the story, the gameplay, the MUSIC, all of it was lovely. And those two will have a place in my heart forever. Such a cute little unique game <3

Hatoful boyfriend. 100%

Boyfriend Dungeon. >:]

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: 1 person
  • Haha
Reactions: Megasis and Fluffy
My answer is going to be pretty boring but I loved the heart events system of the Harvest Moon Games and made it my personal mission to trigger them all.

My answer is going to be pretty boring but I loved the heart events system of the Harvest Moon Games and made it my personal mission to trigger them all.
Oo! I never played any of the Harvest Moon games. I bet I would have had the same goal if I had lol

I've been playing a lot of interactive fiction games recently because they're easy to casually play during breaks lol. Most of them will have some sort of romance in them. Personally really enjoyed the Evertree Saga, which is a fantasy mystery series with a fair amount of RO options! Also like I, The Forgotten One; romance is not big in that one seeing as your character is like, deeply depressed and traumatized, and you only have one RO option depending on your gender & sexuality but I liked the lil romance subplot if you play a gay male character so I forgive them 💜. Wayhaven is very popular (you're a detective in a small town who finds out vampires and other creatures and real and you have to work with a team of them to protect your town), I just haven't played the third bc I don't have a save for the second game and I'm lazy 😭😭 but they have four ROs + a love triangle option for the angst which is fun

I definitely play video games that have romance in them but cannot for the life of me remember?? I've only been playing IFs for the past several months lol

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Megasis
I've been playing a lot of interactive fiction games recently because they're easy to casually play during breaks lol. Most of them will have some sort of romance in them. Personally really enjoyed the Evertree Saga, which is a fantasy mystery series with a fair amount of RO options! Also like I, The Forgotten One; romance is not big in that one seeing as your character is like, deeply depressed and traumatized, and you only have one RO option depending on your gender & sexuality but I liked the lil romance subplot if you play a gay male character so I forgive them 💜. Wayhaven is very popular (you're a detective in a small town who finds out vampires and other creatures and real and you have to work with a team of them to protect your town), I just haven't played the third bc I don't have a save for the second game and I'm lazy 😭😭 but they have four ROs + a love triangle option for the angst which is fun

I definitely play video games that have romance in them but cannot for the life of me remember?? I've only been playing IFs for the past several months lol
Ooooo fun!! I love a good interactive fiction game, i will totally have to check these out!

I've got a couple but they're mostly visual novels :D

- Blooming Panic (discord style chat dating sim/visual novel, super funny and a lil mysterious)
- Our Life: Beginnings and Always (cozy life visual novel, some of the most charming and inclusive writing I've ever seen)
- I Was a Teenage Exocolonist (sci-fi visual novel/stat raiser game with a super compelling plotline and a billion endings)

I never actually answered this, I realize. I was trying so hard to think of what games I played that actually had really good romances, and there were too many to name! So, instead, I'm going to say Persona 5!

Persona 5 was such a great experience when I decided I wanted to date all the girls at once, and then they found out about it and beat me up on Valentine's Day 🤣
What a great time. 10/10 would do it again

• Haha
Reactions: Monbon
The old Bioware had a lot of good romanceable characters in their games. I think Garrus Vakarian still tops as my favorite companion/NPC out of all the games I've ever played.

There's also some good ones for mobile games. Mystic Messenger is still amazing for kickstarting games that feels like you're chatting and calling the characters. Tears of Themis was also really good, but I stopped playing cause the gacha elements were too mean ;^; (I tried to pull for a specific card that was advertised as the one I'll most likely get, yet got a different card)

A new one came out called Love and Deepspace that's really pretty and has some interesting features and elements to it.

• Love
Doki Doki Literature Club, <3 Monika... I think Helltaker counts?? Not sure

I don't watch a lot of gameplays for romance games, really, whatever else I think of is mostly just the cute fandom ships n' stuff

• Love
Reactions: Monbon
I've got a couple but they're mostly visual novels :D

- Blooming Panic (discord style chat dating sim/visual novel, super funny and a lil mysterious)
- Our Life: Beginnings and Always (cozy life visual novel, some of the most charming and inclusive writing I've ever seen)
- I Was a Teenage Exocolonist (sci-fi visual novel/stat raiser game with a super compelling plotline and a billion endings)
I love visual novels though! Now I have to look at all of these >:D

Persona 5 was such a great experience when I decided I wanted to date all the girls at once, and then they found out about it and beat me up on Valentine's Day 🤣
What a great time. 10/10 would do it again
Don't even get me started on persona, Lyri, we will be here all day O-o

The old Bioware had a lot of good romanceable characters in their games. I think Garrus Vakarian still tops as my favorite companion/NPC out of all the games I've ever played.

There's also some good ones for mobile games. Mystic Messenger is still amazing for kickstarting games that feels like you're chatting and calling the characters. Tears of Themis was also really good, but I stopped playing cause the gacha elements were too mean ;^; (I tried to pull for a specific card that was advertised as the one I'll most likely get, yet got a different card)

A new one came out called Love and Deepspace that's really pretty and has some interesting features and elements to it.
Yesss, I'm a huge fan of Bioware for that reason! Not so much now after they were bought, but the old games are fantastic. YESSS GARRUS. I'll have to sneak a peek at the other games you mentioned though, I haven't heard of them!

Doki Doki Literature Club, <3 Monika... I think Helltaker counts?? Not sure

I don't watch a lot of gameplays for romance games, really, whatever else I think of is mostly just the cute fandom ships n' stuff
Oh no, not Doki Doki... I am triggered XD I cannot say more for the soul fact of possibly ruining someone's experience that has yet to play it cause that will not do lol !!

• Haha
Reactions: Monbon and Lyrikai
I see a fellow Mystic Messenger fan. Excellent. That and Code Realize. Along with Rune Factory 4. So many pretty men to choose from.

• Love
I see a fellow Mystic Messenger fan. Excellent. That and Code Realize. Along with Rune Factory 4. So many pretty men to choose from.
I'm a big Zen fan XD Jumin comes at a close second. But Zen's voice~ I would listen to that man talk all day.

I haven't played Code Realize. I've been meaning to XD

If we get started on visual novels, I won't come back out of that anytime soon XD Man there's so many romance visual novels that I've played and fallen in love with. It can have its' own thread to be honest! Not only that, there's the western/indie side, then there's the japanese/otome side.

Oh, I should make a shoutout to these folks so more support can be given to them. I've been following this visual novel for years. It's still a work in progress, and they release each chapter when they're ready so it's really slow-going. But I love the art, the story and the characters. I highly suggest you try it out, and support them if you can.

I'm a big Zen fan XD Jumin comes at a close second. But Zen's voice~ I would listen to that man talk all day.

I haven't played Code Realize. I've been meaning to XD

If we get started on visual novels, I won't come back out of that anytime soon XD Man there's so many romance visual novels that I've played and fallen in love with. It can have its' own thread to be honest! Not only that, there's the western/indie side, then there's the japanese/otome side.

Oh, I should make a shoutout to these folks so more support can be given to them. I've been following this visual novel for years. It's still a work in progress, and they release each chapter when they're ready so it's really slow-going. But I love the art, the story and the characters. I highly suggest you try it out, and support them if you can.

You should totally check out code realize. There's like 3 of them and the vita versions (if you've got one) are super cheap. Was also being re released on switch!

Slay The Princess is a big one, I've written three fanfics about it, as is Fire Emblem: Three Houses though I've never played it. Have written two fics for it though. Also Awakening is a great one. I did actually play a bit of it back when I had a 3DS iirc. Those romances were pretty good, and the fact that you could have interactions with your character's kids from the future is cool.

Also the music is just incredible.

Beyond that I also like the interactive fiction game Heroes of Myth, particularly the romance path for a character by the name of Meredith. Part of me doesn't want to spoil anything, but on the other hand I won't be able to describe why I love her route so much without getting into detail, so...

Meredith is a demon. In the game they're more shadowy tentacle beings who are masters of magic and shapeshifting from another realm, who also cannot lie save for one, but he's a special case. Basically though, she's been trapped in the form of an artifact called the Demonsight Stone for like 300 years due to plot-relevant backstory, and the reason I like her path so much is because not only does she start out as a complete unknown when you meet her, but she's also by and large driven by the mission she has, and once you do get closer to her she slowly starts to open up more. It's just so good imo. You really have to play the game to understand what I mean though.

There's also KOTOR, which has Bastila, another romance I happen to like because it's basically a forbidden romance that's got a lot of complex emotions around it for her since, you know, you're Revan. Plus you can bring her back to the light by the end, which fits really well narratively speaking if you're playing a light-sided character when you romance her, as at that point she's effectively been brainwashed/broken by Malak and wants you to kill her. But naturally you can refuse and bring her back.

Also, it's canon. As is the fact that Revan is a massive nerd who made his son's name an anagram of his own.

Last edited:
  • Love
Final Fantasy X. I ❤️ Tidus and Yuna. That one stood out to me the most. That ending...

• Love