What movie do you wish was good?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

PavellumPendulum

honey believe me, ill have your heart on a platter
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Romance, modern, comedy, post-apocalyptic, slice of life.
I remember when one of my favourite books, The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness got a movie adaptation under the name Chaos Walking. I'd been hype forever, especially since they'd gotten some popular actors (which I'd hoped meant that they'd put a lot of work into it and that it was going to be great, how naive I'd been LMAO). Daisy Ridley, Tom Holland, Nick Jonas, Mads Mikkelsen... It was an expensive cast! But then I watched it and could barely make it to the end. It was one of the worst things I'd ever seen LOL

So what movie do you wish was good? (Another that comes to mind is The Last Airbender (2010) that everyone hated, pfft)

• Haha
Reactions: jarek56
The Disney trilogy of star wars. I'll say no more about it.

I wish Twilight had been good. They stuck TOO close to the source material in the BAD ways. There's a lot about Twilight that could actually be a really great universe and storyline, if they did a little bit of faithful tweaking and reimagining.

The Artemis Fowl movie. I had been looking forward to seeing that brought to life in movies. The entire series was a childhood favorite of mine. The premise was cool and unique. The characters were all interesting.

Unfortunately because this is technically categorized as a YA book, the producers apparently think it needed to be kid-friendly and so butchered Artemis' character. The moment they revealed the trailer I knew this was going to suck. They made him from the flawed asshole that he was to some kind of bland hero-type bratty kid. Artemis Fowl was one of my favorite kid anti-heroes! Eoin Colfer stuck with me as a YA author because he made his main character villainous in the first book! His growth from that to becoming a decent boy/man was the best part of that series!

This butchered version didn't sell well to kids either, so their attempt to market the movie more failed. They might as well have stuck to all the same details in the book. At least fans of the book would've loved it. Now no one does.

I remember thinking they should've gotten Aidan Gallagher as Artemis Fowl. Number 5 shared the same vibe as him and it felt like he could've played a snarky evil kid well too.

Last edited:
Dune movies.

I'm including Dune (2021). I remember watching it with some people and they didn't understand anything that was going on because they didn't read the book. It is visually stunning, but I'm against a movie where the audience cannot engage with it unless they've read the source material. Perhaps it's only adaptable in TV episodes form due to the time needed to explore the nuance the books present. I don't think having it in two parts will solve this issue. If you aren't engaged in part 1, why even bother with 2? Dune (1984) is easier to understand, but the nuance is gone.

When the audience I was with turned off Dune (2021) to watch something else, it was a world of difference. With Dune they were disengaged and bored out of their minds. With the other movie, they were engaged. I'm not saying make Dune a popcorn action movie, but you have to write an engaging script.

My original answer was The Spirits Within (2001), but it isn't fair to the movie since I don't remember any of it. I watched it when I was young and I didn't understand the plot at all, and so I was disengaged and bored of it.