"... a kitten? Are you sure?" He murmured cautiously, intentionally ignoring the rest of the conversation. "Would you be able to handle it? Would I be able to handle it? I've never taken care of a kitten before, Nyle, what if something goes wrong? They're so small..."

His genuine distress was cute, in a way - to care so much for an animal that didn't even exist yet. Despite that, a slow smile did creep to his face as he raked his fingers through Bitters' fur to keep his hands busy.

Reactions: potassiumboron
"Why not? You cared for me when I was sick, so a kitten shouldn't be a big problem. Granted, you were also the one poisoning me and making me ill, but still, you are pretty caring. A kitten won't be an issue," promised Nyle with his typical goofy grin. He knew it was best to stop mentioning the poisoning incidents, but how was he supposed to let it go? He had died because of the boyfriend he trusted - letting go of that wasn't easy, which was why he wanted to take a week-long break to visit his family. The space, he decided, would do them a world of good.

"...I don't want to be a dick about this and make you sad, but it's hard to get over the fact my boyfriend technically killed me. I need a break and then I'll get back and we can enjoy being together again. Trust me, I'll get over what you did, you're too cute to stay mad at."

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: saturnia pavonia
"Yeah, okay. Fair," he agreed, albeit with a halfhearted smile as he absently fiddled with the edge of his long socks, his smile pursed. It was already known that Leo was a notoriously emotional person, so the guilt wasn't helping him much. He wouldn't admit it - he wasn't the one who was killed, after all, and had no real room to play the victim.

"Can you bring back a shirt? Like, one that says Philadelphia on it?" He pleases as he eased back into the couch to avoid any eye contact. "I like wearing other clothes, you know?"

"Course I can, I'll bring back lots of cute gifts and stuff. I'm not breaking up with you, it's just... a family visit, really. They want to see me after, you know, that whole incident," he vaguely shrugged, deciding that he could allude to the poisoning without being so harsh about it, even though he hadn't spared anything just seconds before. He was caught between wanting to get over the incident, and also just reminding hi boyfriend of it to ensure he realised never to do anything like that again. Because he wasn't sure the message got through to him, he figured he had to keep reiterating how wrong it was.

"I'll be back in no time. You can stay cuddled up with Bitters - I'll even keep my laptop here so you can browse the Internet and stuff. I can video call you using my sister's laptop then, it'll be fun," he reassured quickly, giving the ghost a nudge to try and cheer him up. "...I'm not dead yet, I want to go out and see my family while I can. You're determined for me to kill myself for you, so the least you can do is let me enjoy time with my family before that, yeah?"

"I understand, you don't need to keep explaining that to me," he reassured quickly. Sure, half of him was, in reality, still a bit perplexed by the whole idea of a loving family, he also had seen enough television to know that his fucked up situation was an exception. He had met the other's sisters, albeit briefly, and he could tell the love was there. He was jealous, admittedly, but he wasn't going to be so petty that he keep his boyfriend from seeing his family.

In just the first day Nyle was gone after Leo had collected enough money to help pay for the ticket, Leo was miserable. He essentially just did what he had done while still alive; sit on the computer and fiddled with it, watch television and pretend to sleep with the added addition of snuggling up to the indifferent cat who purred in response. He didn't want to be so needy and call or text the other after officially setting up his own cellphone so he had tried to establish some new friends online only to realize that was a bit harder than he was expecting. Eventually, he decided to at least send a quick text.

"is everything okay? Send pics of Philly I want to see how it looks," he eagerly texted with a hopeful smile. Worst case scenario he would never receive a reply and he was ghosted, no pun intended, until Nyle decided to return.

A return text didn't come immediately, and nor did it come in the hour after Leo sent his. When Nyle did reply back, it was hurried and a few cute emojis made up most of what was sent, and he knew that that in itself was pretty crappy. In fact, when he called his boyfriend up hours later, the first thing out of his mouth was an apology.

"I just couldn't text you back then, it was a bad time. Not bad, I was just busy trying to help my Dad set up the sofa bed, it was just hectic and I was stressed, so sorry-- but hey, we're talking now, so it's all good. I got here okay, everything was fine, flight went good. My Dad's got over the flu, my sister's back from college, my other sisters are back from school-- it's alright here," he explained easily, the sound of him flopping back against the sofa and cracking a beer open being heard just seconds later. This was exactly what he needed; family time in the bustling city he had grown up in, where he could walk five minutes and be surrounded by coffee places and shops. He liked that; the whole quiet middle-of-nowhere thing was tiring, even if he tried to convince himself that he enjoyed it. He could pretend that being a social recluse was enjoyable, but being home and connecting with old friends changed that.

"What have you been up to, then? You should just stick Netflix on and spend the week binging some TV series, Leo. Time'll fly if you do that."

"You know that isn't true, Nyle," he replied, the annoyance in his voice unsubtle while Bitters laid out on his stomach, purring softly. "It's so boring without you. Like, I already finished all of that weird baking show and I started up Breaking Bad but it's really boring. It started raining a little while ago, so... now it's just noisy," he explained before groaning as he rolled into his side, causing the black cat to whine.

"I was worried, you know. You didn't respond and I just - I don't know. You could have been shot, o-or the plane could have crashed. Then what would I do?" He whispered, the thought only causing him to panic more. "Look - i-it's Whatever. I'm glad you're safe and everyone is okay. I just wish you had called earlier," he admitted.

"You should watch some ghost films and you can laugh at how they represent you lot, it'll give you a chuckle if nothing else. I dunno, I'l be gone a whole week, Leo. Find a hobby, find something to do or you'll be bored stiff. I'll call, we can FaceTime-- this week will go quick," he promised as he tried to juggle drinking his beer whilst talking to his boyfriend, and like hell would he put him on loud speaker - he couldn't exactly trust his sisters to sit quietly and respectfully while he talked with him.

"Don't be dramatic, everything's fine. I just didn't have time to call 'ya," he reassured, rolling his eyes. The worry was definitely comforting, knowing Leo cared about him, but he also didn't need the ghost spending the week in fear that Nyle was dead just because he hadn't messaged or called for a while. "I'll be busy, I can't call you all the time. I'm meeting with old school friends tomorrow, we're hiking-- I'll be gone all day without signal. Nothing's gonna happen to me, just... chill. I'll text whenever I can, I promise-- but don't think I'm in trouble if I don't."

"W-Well, can you blame me?! Something could have happened and I would never know," he stammered out in response, hiding his selfish reason. If Nyle was going to die, he was going to die in his own house, no matter what. If he learned that Nyle was gone forever all because of a stupid trip to Philadelphia? He'd probably flip out and try to find a way to get back at the other's family. He knew Nyle cared for them, that was obvious, but he just couldn't make the connection on how important they were to the human. Closing his eyes tightly to calm down, a small grimace still made an appearance as he locked into the television on the wall.

He was a recluse and for the most part, he was content with that. Hearing his boyfriend was going hiking or hanging out with friends was... well, it made him feel like shit. It was just another reminder of what he had done and how much he regretted it and it just wasn't fair. "Okay, yeah. Just... yeah. I'll finish another series, I dunno... maybe learn how to cook," he replied flatly before grabbing the laptop, desperate to keep his free hand busy. "Can you at least send pictures of the hike? Like... I don't think that's asking for much. You don't even have to text me."

Nyle was never the smartest when it came to deciphering how others felt. He was bad enough in person, not reading facial expressions that well, so any chance of him realising just how upset Leo was by his voice and words alone wasn't all that likely. It was why he had quickly moved on, assuming Leo was perfectly okay now he had suggested something to make the boredom disappear for a few hours without him.

"Course I'll send pictures-- I have to update Instagram, keep all my 198 followers in the loop," he snorted, sounding happier than he had for days-- though that wasn't a surprise. Just getting out the house and forgetting about the ordeal he had gone through was relaxing; being with family and having the chance to be social again would inevitably cheer him up. "I'll send you pics of everything, yeah? Of the scenery, of the meals I eat, of my sister's dog and stuff. I'm not gonna cut you out, Leo, don't stress about it. I'll be back in a week."

Silence followed as Leo stared at the wall. He immediately decided that was a blatant lie. Why would Nyle care about him? Why would he even want to come back to the small town? He had friends and family, things to do and nice places to eat. Meanwhile, his own town was... boring. He knew that, he wasn't as dumb as Nyle seemed to be. Rubbing a hand through his hair, he simply hummed before rolling his eyes.

"Yeah. Okay. It's whatever. I don't want to keep you from doing more important things so... have fun. I'll be here, obviously - not like I can go anywhere else, aha..."

"...Is this you trying to guilt me into getting back home early? We need a break from each other, Leo. If I'm going to spend the rest of eternity with you, I don't think a week away is a bad thing," laughed Nyle, his own eyes rolling. He was surprisingly on board with Leo's suggestion that, one day, he'd kill himself so they could be together. Sure, he had doubts but he knew he would probably agree to it if he was in control, rather than his boyfriend poisoning him behind his back without his knowledge.

"I'm going to give my life up for you one day, Leo. I want to spend some time with my family while I can, I don't think that's much to ask," he continued under his breath, growing more serious to get the point across. "...I'll bring you back some magazines and books and all sorts of cool stuff, promise."

"I'm not guilting you, I'm just stating a fact," he replied simply, trying to keep his tone suddenly positive. "I can't leave, that's all. Look, it's fine - just take some pics and stuff, I wanna know what Philadelphia looks. You should FaceTime me too so I can see your sisters again. I... may be afraid to talk to them but I do want to get to know them," he explained, though was in reality having tears trail down his cheeks.

"Alright, I'll let you go," he reassured, his tone normal despite his anxiety on the other line. "Just... be safe. Send pictures and stuff and text me if anything big happens. I'll take cute pics of Bitters. I don't want him getting jealous if you've got a cute cat at home."

"They all love you, dude. They think you're adorable," he promised down the phone, smiling to himself now he assumed that everything was fine between them. In his eyes, he could spend the week enjoying himself, making sure to update his boyfriend a few times a day, and then he could return home and get on with their life together.

He didn't anticipate anything going pear-shaped to the degree it did, however. Through a mixture of dehydration, tiredness and the above average heat, Nyle fainted during the hiking trip. It was a brief moment, lasting mere seconds, but the friends he was with decided it was best to take him to the hospital just to get him checked out, which ended up causing more problems than Nyle could have envisioned. Once his records were pulled up by doctors, they immediately questioned him on the poisoning incident just a week or two before his travel to Philadelphia, which meant he had to lie on his feet and pretend (once again) that he had no idea how rat poison had even got into his system.

The friends that were with him were less easily fooled. They knew all about Leo, with one or two have spoken to him on the phone or been present during a video call. The only person they had heard Nyle mention was Leo, so it took all of five seconds before they were convinced he was the culprit. They didn't understand why Nyle was still with him, why he was preparing to go back to him or why he was even protecting him, but they were all under the impression that Nyle was in danger if they let him return... so, quite simply, they refused to let him. Once informing his family, Nyle had his passport taken while his family tried to talk sense into him. The police would have been called if Nyle hadn't reacted so vehemently against it as he continued to protest his boyfriend's innocence.

Even though Nyle's friends could call Leo and get answers that way, meeting with him face-to-face seemed the best option. That way, they could read his facial expressions and see if he was behind it, or if they had made a grave misunderstanding. In the end, Lewis, one of Nyle's closest friends, made the journey to the small town, which was a testament to how much he cared for his friend.

Once there, he couldn't really understand what Nyle saw in the place. It was derelict, quiet and secluded; a far cry away from the bustling city and buzzing social life that Nyle seemed to enjoy. Nevertheless, with only a backpack of essentials on his back, Lewis headed to the address he had scribbled on his hand and, with a brief moment to collect himself, knocked loudly on the door. "Leo? It's Lewis-- Nyle's mate. You need to open up, okay?"

1293.jpg

The last few days were stressful, naturally. The fact that there was such a long time before Nyle got back to him, only to FaceTime with the other in the hospital, he was left with growing anxiety from that point.

If it weren't for the fact that he couldn't actually sleep, he would have been up for those two days straight, pacing the house. When warned by Nyle that he couldn't change Lewis' mind on traveling over to their small home, he did everything he could to pretend that things were normal; he wore one of Nyle's long sleeved shirts to hide his wrists, had signs of him having eaten dinner on the table, and Bitters was sleeping happily by the fireplace on the cat bed they had ordered.

He didn't really know what to expect. He had only really spoken to Nyle's sisters and they were incredibly sweet, albeit a bit loud and protective. He wasn't expecting this complete stranger to be so intimidating once he opened the door to their cozy home. If he wasn't already ghostly white, all the color from his face would have drained.

"Ah... you're Lewis, then?" He nervously questioned through the crack in the door, his already shy personality mixing well with his fear. "Um... yeah, Ah... come in. It's a bit messy," he admitted before reluctantly opening the door enough for the other. It was surprisingly neat, in reality, since Leo couldn't really focus on anything but keeping He house nice. Biting on the edge of the sleeve of the sleeve, he attempted to offer a smile. "Ah... you really didn't need to make the trip."

"Do you think I had plans to make a trip to a dead town in the middle of nowhere? Not really. Thing is, I didn't really have a choice. I'd have preferred to call the police and get your ass arrested, but Nyle was insistent that he'd never forgive us if we did that, so... here I am. Thought it was best to turn up and get some answers face to face," he began swiftly, not holding back on letting his anger shine through. He had been incredibly polite during the single phone call he had had with Leo a month or so ago, because naturally, he was a good person.

Hearing that his best friend had been slowly poisoned and had officially died for a few minutes did convince him that Leo didn't deserve an ounce of his kindness. Of course, he knew there was a possibility he and the others were wrong about everything. Nyle had constantly refused to admit Leo was at fault, and Leo hardly seemed like a malicious person who would attempt to murder someone they evidently loved... but Lewis had to be certain.

"...Did you fucking do it then?" He asked instantly once inside the small home, grimacing again as he struggled to see someone as loud and extroverted as Nyle living in a cosy place like this. "Did you fucking poison my best friend? I don't want to think it's you, Leo. I like you; his family likes you. I just don't see who else could have kept that shit up for months-- he only ever mentions you, he says he doesn't have any mates around here."

"Obviously not, why would I want to do that?" He quietly replied. While he was startled by the anger and power in the other's voice, he had actively practiced what he would say to himself in the short time he had. Like hell was he going to have Nyle taken away from him nor was he going to be taken away from Nyle. He didn't know how that would be possible but that didn't mean he didn't consider it. Watching the other take in their home, he watched as the chubby black cat ran upstairs in fear of Lewis' presence.

"Nyle can tell you, I was devastated when he... ah... when the accident happened," he insisted with pursed lips. "I was the one who called 911. If I wanted Nyle dead, why would I have done that?" He reminded, not needing to pretend how offended he was. While it was true that he fucked up, he didn't see himself as a bad person. "Look, take a seat and relax. "

"...I don't believe you. Nyle doesn't have a job. He told us he spends all his time in this house; that you guys don't go out and you don't have visitors. Who would have access to him for several months to poison him slowly each day, besides you? Leo, you gotta see where I'm coming from 'cos it's only you that had that sort of access, right? I ain't gonna be mad, I just wanna know-- for myself," he sighed, taking the offer as he sunk to his feet, having walked a fair distance just to make it into the town. Even if he was furious with Leo and didn't believe a word that came from his mouth, he was happy to sit down and relax, if only physically.

"You're lying and we both know it," he repeated again, his eyes sternly locking to Leo's for any hint of that deception on his face. "...If it isn't you, who would fucking do that to him? And why? And how did they get to be around him for months to be able to do that to him? You're full of shit, Leo."

"I don't know how it happened," he insisted equally as sternly as he moved to wash the dirty dishes. Locking his eyes on the plates as he watched the water stream, frowning deeply.

"It's getting really fucking annoying, all of you blaming me. Nyle went out to get food, maybe he went to get coffee. I never asked because we have that good enough of a relationship. In fact, I'm mad that you have the audacity to show up in my house accusing me of such fucked up shit."

Reactions: potassiumboron
"So someone else did it, and you didn't call the police? You didn't head out to try and find out who was poisoning your own boyfriend? You didn't even call his family, Leo. Why not, huh? What's your excuse for that?" Lewis continued to challenge, apparently unimpressed with every excuse leaving Leo's mouth. It was fair to say he didn't believe a singe word of it, because nothing he heard made any sense to him.

"...You know Nyle isn't coming back, don't you? Do you really think we'd let him come back to a town where he almost died? Somebody here, if it's not you, tried to murder him. He's staying back in Philly with his friends and family. If we find out it wasn't you, you could relocate, right? I'm sure you care more about Nyle's health than some house in the middle of nowhere, yeah?"